Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple wins patent on tech for auto-optimizing aging devices

Apple wins patent on tech for auto-optimizing aging devices
MacNN Staff
Mar 11, 2014, 10:54 AM

Apple has won rights to a new US patent, Modifying operating parameters of a device based on aging information. The concept would bake aging detection circuitry into a device, set to react if parameters fall outside of a predefined scale, or using data collected from other users. As a device gets older, the circuitry could help optimize performance and extend battery life.

Although it's unknown if Apple actually intends to implement the technology, it could help deal with a common problem in smartphones. Often devices -- including iPhones -- will slow down, lose battery life, and/or die entirely after two or three years. Aging detection could help keep an iPhone functioning normally for longer.

Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2014, 11:06 AM

Two or three years? I've been using my iPhone 3G since 2008 with the orignal battery, and only need to charge it every two or three days.. OK it doesn't vibrate anymore and my volume buttons "fell" but it's still very usable! Oh, and I don't use a case and have zero scratch

The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Mar 13, 2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
bake aging detection
I sure like to have my apps tell me how long an apple has been baking...
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules