Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Microsoft to bring free OneNote to Mac later in March

Microsoft to bring free OneNote to Mac later in March
MacNN Staff
Mar 12, 2014, 01:18 PM

Microsoft is planning to launch a free version of OneNote for the Mac later this month as part of a plan to expand the functionality of the platform, sources say. The company currently has a paid version for Office for Windows, and free iOS, Android, and web apps, but has so far left OS X alone in the software's decade-plus history. Like the Mac version, the Windows title is also expected to become free.

The move is said to be a way for Microsoft to challenge other notetaking platforms, such as Evernote. OneNote is allegedly gaining other improvements as well, such as the ability to clip portions of webpages into notes via extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Another function will let people create notes via email.

Microsoft appears to be ramping up its Apple-focused releases in 2014. Apart from OneNote, a new Mac edition of Office is anticipated this year, as is an iPad version of Office.

Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2014, 01:27 PM

Lots of OneNote fans at my office. I've heard good things about it. May make the switch if this is true.

Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2014, 02:36 PM

I guess I never felt the need for a note-taking app. I just toss everything into a properly-titled folder and voila - I have a little pocket of knowledge related to a project. I use the file system to organize my stuff. I just haven't felt the need for yet another layer of organization. And I have a HUGE amount of information from 21 years of working in the same industry.
To each his / her own.
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Mar 13, 2014, 11:07 AM

Never heard of OneNote before. Could they make it cloud-based?
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules