Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Eddy Cue denies pen-throwing incident in Haunted Empire book

Eddy Cue denies pen-throwing incident in Haunted Empire book
MacNN Staff
Mar 19, 2014, 02:37 PM

Apple's senior VP for Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue, is denying an incident mentioned in the recent Yukari Iwatani Kane book Haunted Empire: Apple After Steve Jobs. The book claims that at one point, Jobs threw a pen at Cue's face. Asked if the anecdote is true, Cue told a reporter "No it's not."

Cue is the second major Apple executive to cast doubt on Haunted Empire, following current CEO Tim Cook, who recently called the book "nonsense." Jobs was however infamous for his temper, and Apple executives have a vested interested in maintaining a positive image of both Jobs and the company's prospects, which together form the focus of Kane's writing. She has said that the book is based on about 200 interviews, including past and present Apple executives.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 20, 2014 at 02:50 AM. )

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2014, 02:53 PM

So you're calling Eddy Cue a liar and everything Kane says is the truth?

Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2014, 03:32 PM

What you said doesn't make any sense. Who are you addressing?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2014, 03:33 PM

And Kane has a vested interest in drumming up juicy chatter for her book.
Just sayin'

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2014, 03:58 PM

@blaze, if your question is about my statement, I was addressing whomever wrote this article. All it says is MacNN staff. The second paragraph challenges Cue's and other Apple executives comments as possibly not being true. That's why I made my comment.

Mac Elite
Location: Excellent, the sports issue is within arm's reach, I'll be here all day.
Mar 19, 2014, 04:00 PM

I can't imagine that people would take any "Steve Jobs" book seriously after Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs... he could always write commentary/clarifications and post them online. Until he does so, and until any of these point to this incident, I am not invested in what Kane says if it's wrong.
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Senior User
Mar 19, 2014, 04:17 PM

Of course, it's a lie...Jobs was throwing it at his neck.

Managing Editor
Mar 19, 2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by prl99 View Post
So you're calling Eddy Cue a liar and everything Kane says is the truth?
I didn't write the article, but I didn't get that the author called anybody a liar.

Steve was a pretty emotional guy. That's really all it said.

Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2014, 05:18 PM

Well, I get what prl99 is saying here. The "author" claims Apple has a vested interest in maintaining Apple's image, which implies they'd say whatever is needed to refute the claims made in that book. To even things out though, the "author" doesn't make any attempt to acknowledge the possibility that this book is a huge pile of bullcrap, written by a publicity-hungry hack. Basically, a forum troll in book form.

MacNN Editor
Mar 19, 2014, 06:53 PM

You guys are mistaking "balance" with "inference." The author of the article (not me either) can't confirm, deny or divine the truth, but just pointing out that there are well-known reasons why Cue *might* be lying about the incident and *might* be telling the truth. Kane probably didn't make this up, she probably got it from one of her interviews -- but that also doesn't mean it's true either.

The author of the article isn't attempting a book review and likely hasn't read the book, and thus is in no position to confirm -- or deny -- claims made in the book. I haven't seen a single good review of the book in question, but that doesn't mean everything (or even most things) in it are lies -- I gather that the author of the book just filtered what they discovered through an "Apple is doooomed" preconceived perspective. That's "truthiness," which is usually based on true things but spun in a particular way.

In short, we often add balance to stories we publish here -- a rumor comes out and we add reasons why it might not be true, for example. It's called "trying to bring readers all the known factors so they can draw their own conclusions."
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Mac Elite
Location: Excellent, the sports issue is within arm's reach, I'll be here all day.
Mar 20, 2014, 01:01 PM

I just realized that we're all making a big deal out of a news story of whether or not someone threw a pen
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules