Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > 2014 MacBook Air benchmarks show expected modest gains

2014 MacBook Air benchmarks show expected modest gains
MacNN Staff
Apr 30, 2014, 01:24 PM

Early benchmarks are beginning to appear for Apple's 2014 MacBook Airs. Primate Labs' Geekbench indicates that the base 11- and 13-inch systems, each powered by a 1.4GHz Core i5-4260U, score 2,532 under single-core tests, and 4,781 when using both cores. By contrast, the 1.3GHz Core i5-4250U in 2013 Airs managed scores up to 2,461 and 4,615, respectively.

The differences between 2013 and 2014 models are so marginal, notes Primate Labs founder John Poole, that Apple didn't even update its model identifier. People wanting faster performance can upgrade to a 1.7GHz Core i7, but that costs $150 extra.

Rumors have claimed that Apple is working on a more dramatic update for later this year, in the form of a 12-inch Retina model. The computer will also allegedly adopt a fanless design and a clickless trackpad, and more controversially, fewer inputs and outputs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules