Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Weather data switch in iOS 8 linked to deal by Weather Channel CEO

Weather data switch in iOS 8 linked to deal by Weather Channel CEO
MacNN Staff
Jun 20, 2014, 04:39 PM

The shift from Yahoo to the Weather Channel for iOS 8's Weather app is the result of a "very crafty deal" by Weather Channel CEO and former Yahoo board member David Kenny, says Re/Code. Yahoo has long been Apple's partner for iOS weather, even though all it's been doing is repackaging the Weather Channel's raw information. To entice Apple to cut out the middle partner, the Weather Channel is said to have offered things it wasn't offering Yahoo, including a nine-day forecast, a conditions summary, and more "weather specificity" related to a user's location.

"Yahoo had been renting ocean-front property for years and did not realize the lease was up, and the Weather Channel slipped right in and took it," notes an anonymous Yahoo executive. "It's a high-profile loss."

Some people inside Yahoo are reportedly worried that the company could lose out on iOS' stock tracker as well. "Others now see an in," one source comments. "Getting on these key mobile platforms is a must-have for Yahoo, since it does not have a phone, and now that status is vulnerable." As with weather, Yahoo pulls its stock information from outside firms.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 20, 2014 at 06:27 PM. )

Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2014, 05:51 PM

"... even though all it's [Yahoo] been doing is repackaging the Weather Channel's raw information"

See, and I doubt that. I've read that before, and it doesn't match my own experience. My iPhone runs iOS 8 Preview, my girlfriend's iPhone runs iOS 7. If the Yahoo weather info is supposed to be the same as what the Weather Channel is providing, shouldn't both phones show the same temperature for the same place and an at least similar forecast?

Well, they don't. What I see on my iPhone (= Weather Channel data in the weather app) is often very dissimilar to what I see on the iOS 7 iPhone (= Yahoo weather data). And on a side note, Yahoo is almost always wrong in their forecasts, while TWC is often much closer to the truth with their predictions.

Anyone else with access to both iOS 7 and 8 weather apps who can confirm that?

Jun 20, 2014, 07:38 PM

In my experience, Yahoo! Weather as displayed by the iOS Weather app is slightly different than the Weather Channel app, but it is similar. By this, I mean that the temperature may differ by 1 °F with slightly differing forecasts. However, the differences are not dramatically different. Whether you are aware of it or not, your local TV weather forecasters all get their data from the National Weather Service, but they also give slightly different reports and predictions.

Yahoo! originated as a search engine and Internet portal. The Weather Channel was founded as a cable TV channel before expanding to the Internet. It has remote weather reporting stations everywhere. OTOH, Yahoo! has no infrastructure to collect meteorological data. It has abandoned its own search engine in favor of Microsoft Bing. If you cannot accept reports that Yahoo! repackages Weather Channel data, then answer two questions:
  1. What is your understanding of the phrase "repackaging the Weather Channel's raw information"?
  2. Where do you think Yahoo! gets its raw data?

Forum Links
Forum Rules