Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Android fragmentation drove ex-Google head to choose iOS

Android fragmentation drove ex-Google head to choose iOS
MacNN Staff
Jul 16, 2012, 09:26 AM

Google's Android fragmentation issue has driven at least one former Googler to choose Apple's iOS platform as the basis for a new app. Electricpig spoke with the creator of mapping app Recce (free in the App Store, finding that the rampant compatibility issues on the platform have proven unattractive even to former employees of the search giant.

Recce is a 3D mapping program currently focused on London, but plans exist to expand it to include other major metropolitan areas. It reproduces London in a style reminiscent of the popular Sim City series, with cars moving along roads, boats floating on rivers, and trains riding rails. It was developed under the guidance of Rian Liebenberg, former Engineering Director at Google, and a former Sony executive. Recce is available on iOS, but not Android because the creators were not convinced that they could guarantee a solid Android user experience across all devices running the operating system. An Android version of the app does exist, but Recce's makers are uncertain whether it is worth it to release it. The app maker's complaint was found last year to be common among Android developers, with 86 percent reporting that OS version fragmentation was a problem. The majority of Android phones are said to be on Android 2.3.3, and 11 percent are running on the Android 4.0. Google's Nexus 7 tablet, now on its way to customers, will be the first device to run the newest version, Android 4.1.

The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Jul 16, 2012, 09:48 AM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2012, 12:06 PM

>>>"Android OS has been "Copied" and developed... "

Yet another muppet parroting the delusional Steve Jobs.

Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchy View Post
>>>"Android OS has been "Copied" and developed... "

Yet another muppet parroting the delusional Steve Jobs.
I dunno.

The iPhone has been doing quite well for a delusional product.

You're right, though: when it was introduced in January 2007, it certainly *seemed* like complete fantasy, compared to everything anybody else was doing - including Google.

The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Jul 17, 2012, 05:20 PM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules