Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > TiVo Stream box due September 6 for $129

TiVo Stream box due September 6 for $129
MacNN Staff
Aug 29, 2012, 09:16 AM

As reported earlier, TiVo has officially revealed the ship dates and prices for its Stream transcoder. The device lets users send live or recorded programming from TiVo Premiere-series DVRs to their iOS devices. It will ship on September 6, priced at $130.

The box also needs to be plugged into a home network, and support for Android devices is promised to be coming in the near future as well. TiVo is proud to say the product is the first to allow streaming up to as many as four devices without affecting the TV stream. When outside the home network's range, the device will let iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch users download recorded shows only rather than also watch live content. TiVo said that a one-hour show can be downloaded in 15 minutes under ideal network conditions and viewed offline later. What's more, users can choose from one of two download sizes before they begin the transfer. Content plays back in the free TiVo app which makes for a consistent experience and interface.

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2012, 09:50 AM

Hmmm... small, flat, black, rounded corners, logo on top - I smell lawsuit.

Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2012, 10:05 AM

Apple can't sue Tivo on this design, it is obvious it can also be used as a spaghetti strainer. Duh!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2012, 10:25 AM

If you have Roxio's CD/DVD software I believe there is a Tivo app that allows you to download recorded programs from your Tivo box if on your home network and create DVDs or even save as MP4 format. You can then transcode using various software programs to make available on your IOS device or even then play in future on you iTV.

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2012, 10:49 AM

Whoa! another Asian company.....wait a minute, it's TIVO from USA. The device strikingly resembles AppleTV! That mess-up!
But I like the downloading concept though and it's competing with Sling device. Hopefully TIVO won't get sued by movie studios.
The bad thing about this box is you must have the main box ($150-$400) for it to work plus monthly subscription.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2012, 11:24 AM

Please, Apple better not sue because they copied the Apple TV from Roku. This thing does very little that the Apple TV does. Now, the Apple TV does about 90% of what Roku does but the Roku is so much better. I think Tivo is making a great move with this little box, I just wish I did not have to have the premiere model to use it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules