Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Report: new Boxee TV box includes live over-the-air TV

Report: new Boxee TV box includes live over-the-air TV
MacNN Staff
Oct 8, 2012, 06:56 PM

Responding to some criticisms of the original device, a new Boxee media streaming receiver is being tested. According to The Verge, the new Boxee TV device manufactured by D-Link combines over-the-air live television through antennas with DVR capability, web apps, and media streaming. The new device boasts a more conventional form factor in an attempt to entice more cord-cutters than the currently estimated 200,000 that own the original unit.

A survey delivered to beta testers of the device hint that users will be able to watch recorded content across devices, likely through the Boxee smartphone and tablet application. Similar network media streaming abilities to the original device are reported. The previous QWERTY-keyboard remote has been removed, with a more conventional streaming box remote, with a four-way directional controller. The device is not apparently ready for release. According to The Verge, "our source says the software routinely crashes several times a day and that Boxee plans numerous updates down the line to refine the user experience before any public unveiling." [via The Verge]

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2012, 07:36 PM

Being able to watch over the air TV would be big for me.

It could help me decide to cut the cable and dump Time Warner.

I'd love to call them up and say "its you and not me"

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2012, 06:21 AM

I'd love to see this mimic Dish's Hopper - record all the OTA HD major networks simultaneously during primetime.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2012, 12:33 PM

Exactly what I'm looking for. As soon as they release it, I'm there.
"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

Forum Links
Forum Rules