Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > 13'' Retina MacBook Pro to start at $1700?

13'' Retina MacBook Pro to start at $1700?
Thread Tools
MacNN Staff
Join Date: Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
 
Apple's rumored 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro may cost approximately $1,699 for the basic configuration, according to alleged pricing details published by 9to5Mac. If true, the 13-inch Retina model will command a $500 premium over the current entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro, while priced $500 below the basic 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.

Like its larger counterpart, the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro is expected to be offered in two different configurations. Both are said to integrate the same 2560x1600 display, however the upgraded model is presumed to add a faster processor and additional storage. Separate leaks suggest one of the variants may feature a 2.9GHz Core i7-3520 processor. In contrast, the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro is offered with a choice between quad-core i7 chips running at 2.3GHz, 2.6GHz or 2.7GHz. Rumors surrounding a 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro began circulating around the same time as talk of the 15-inch model, which arrived in June. Timing for the launch remains unclear, though some sources suggest the 13-inch model will be unveiled alongside the iPad mini at Apple's Tuesday event.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sitting in front of computer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2012, 02:22 PM
 
Apple has lost it if they think a 13" laptop is worth $1700.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2012, 02:42 PM
 
^ There's a guy who's never seen a retina display.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2012, 03:46 PM
 
Dude I paid 2000 for a 12 inch MacBook Pro back in the day. It might not be worth it for you, but for people who care about beautiful displays it's worth it. Besides wait a year and the price'll come down.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2012, 01:19 AM
 
In all fairness, who gives a shit about what technology *used to* cost?

I paid over $400 for a 40 MB hard drive once. That doesn't mean that spending four hundred dollars on mass storage is worth it to everyone today.
     
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2012, 03:55 PM
 
Here's the thing... these displays do really cost quite a wad to get each. That cost is added on top of the macbook pro line. But is it worth it? Yeah, that is the question... maybe to a designer?? Not sure if these IPS hi-ppi displays live up to the tasks of a dedicated photographer or printer. Oh, and I hate the term "retina" for a display.... because that is BS marketing hype, but then again... I hate any kind of brain-washing.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 21, 2012, 05:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
, and I hate the term "retina" for a display.... because that is BS marketing hype, but then again... I hate any kind of brain-washing.
since when? "Retina" has an agreed upon definition - pixels indistinguishable at the average viewing distance of the device. I don't see how that's marketing hype.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 22, 2012, 09:14 AM
 
$1700 for a all flash based computer that is super thin, wicked performance, excellent battery life and a magnificent screen. Sounds good to me. If price mattered when it came to Apple products nothing would sell since everything is priced on the high end. You can also find 13" and 11" PC laptops int he $2000+ range too. Its more a niche market. The Panasonic tough books for example are over $2k
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 22, 2012, 10:51 AM
 
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
since when? "Retina" has an agreed upon definition - pixels indistinguishable at the average viewing distance of the device. I don't see how that's marketing hype.
agreed upon by who?? crApple? Another brain-washed victim.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
since when? "Retina" has an agreed upon definition - pixels indistinguishable at the average viewing distance of the device. I don't see how that's marketing hype.
agreed upon by who?? crApple? Another brain-washed victim.
Defined by the company that first introduced products to meet that criterion to the mass market.

Their privilege.

Agreed upon by "Science!" as factually accurate.

What's "brainwashed" about creating a marketing term based upon clear-cut and very simple math?
Just that it's beyond your ability to research and judge?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 22, 2012, 12:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
Here's the thing... these displays do really cost quite a wad to get each. That cost is added on top of the macbook pro line. But is it worth it? Yeah, that is the question... maybe to a designer??
You don't own, or regularly use, any devices with retina resolution.

The difference is actually most stunning with text. You know, the stuff you're looking at right now.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2012, 12:26 AM
 
As opposed to a 72 ppi 6bit monitor, or an 8bit or a 10 bit? The difference is huge and people who deal with images for a living do notice the difference in colour reproduction and specifically in detail. That's why they pay huge amounts for better quality monitors and calibration equipment, because it actually 'means' something to them and to the customers they serve.

People have been using 10 bit monitors at 72ppi for a very long time for what people deem to be professional jobs.

And as has already been stated the term 'retina' is accurate because it looks like a printed page, the eye can't discern any more detail. The ppi makes an enormous difference regardless of colour depth.
     
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2012, 06:13 PM
 
folks... I just don't like the term, because really it should bear the name hi-ppi.... that way folks actually know what and how much ppi it actually bears. Keeping the public stupid has always been the tactic for crApple.

I know what it refers too, I've been an art director while Quark had a good ride (I still use Quark for certain stuff).... so spare me the tech behind it. Just saying the TERM. Thanks

While I love the new IPS panel apple is using, the added cost to buy one outside of apple is astronomical.... try looking one up on ebay to see what I mean. So if you didn't get a "Rectina" (funny right?) MBP, then you might want to wait until next year for the WiFi ac version of the "Rectal"

I wonder when they are going to run out of hyped up one-liners for the web debuts of their crApple products... I will place my bets that their product pages will begin to sound redundant starting next year.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2012, 02:57 AM
 
Remember when Apple coined the term "Airport" back in 1999? That was because nobody had a ****ing clue what WLAN was supposed to be.

Apple sells because they make technology graspable and accessible. One of the methods they use to do so is by ignoring specs that aren't relevant to the experience, and giving those that are too abstract household names.


Also, you seem like a reasonably eloquent adult. You might want to consider dropping the "clever" puns like "crApple" and the like. That's jarring to readers not because it feels like a jab hitting home, but because it flips the mental image of you back and forth between responsible adult and completely immature moron.
Should this not be possible, I suggest thalo.net for your needs. It's a refuge for professional designers who go into fetal position when confronted with colored window control buttons.
     
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2012, 03:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Remember when Apple coined the term "Airport" back in 1999? That was because nobody had a ****ing clue what WLAN was supposed to be.
By the way, the term "WiFi" has been around before "airport".... and people knew what that meant. Now that crApple finally uses the term properly, what is your argument now?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2012, 11:21 PM
 
The term "wi-fi" wasn't used commercially until summer of 1999, and NOBODY in the consumer space had ever heard of it, let alone WLAN, before then.

Apple introduced their first Airport products in July '99.

Apart from that: I take it you agree with my assessment, since you're resorting to pedantic nit-picking using made-up details?
     
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The term "wi-fi" wasn't used commercially until summer of 1999, and NOBODY in the consumer space had ever heard of it, let alone WLAN, before then.
Apple introduced their first Airport products in July '99.
Apart from that: I take it you agree with my assessment, since you're resorting to pedantic nit-picking using made-up details?
agree with some stuff, like the "simplicity" but a lot of it is way over-reached, like "bonjour".... Do you expect people to REALLY know what the hell crApple really means?? yeeeaeah, thought so.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2012, 01:50 PM
 
It used to be "Rendezvous", which was a lot better, IMO. Much better than "zeroconf", at any rate.

"Bonjour" wasn't Apple's first choice, anyway. It was the result of a lawsuit. Yay.
     
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2012, 05:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It used to be "Rendezvous", which was a lot better, IMO. Much better than "zeroconf", at any rate.
"Bonjour" wasn't Apple's first choice, anyway. It was the result of a lawsuit. Yay.
Agreed
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:25 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2