Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Survey: 42 percent of PC upgraders to buy Mac, iPad instead

Survey: 42 percent of PC upgraders to buy Mac, iPad instead
MacNN Staff
Nov 15, 2012, 11:47 AM

A survey conducted by Avast has found that immediate interest in Windows 8 may be weak, and nearly half of the upgrade-ready respondents are eyeing a Mac or iPad rather than another PC. The survey, which was referenced by USA Today, polled 135,000 Windows users last month ahead of the Windows 8 launch. Only nine percent indicated that Windows 8 has hastened their plans to upgrade, and more than 74 percent still have no immediate plans to upgrade.

Of the respondents who are ready to buy a new computing device, only 58 plan to acquire another PC as their next purchase. In contrast, 30 percent are more interested in adding an iPad to their device collection, while 12 percent noted plans to buy a Mac. Windows 8 has been met with mixed reception, as some users find the new interface to be unfamiliar and not immediately intuitive. Microsoft earlier this week announced the departure of Windows head Steven Sinofsky, leading to speculation of internal disagreements surrounding the new software. Although the iPad is in a separate category from traditional notebook or desktop computers, Apple CEO Tim Cook recently proclaimed that consumers who purchase Windows-based PCs would be "much better off buying an iPad ... or a Mac."

Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2012, 12:51 PM

No one ever got fired for waiting for SP1 on a Microsoft Product.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2012, 02:20 PM

These users will get Windows 8 shoved down their throats one way or another. PC users always buy the cheapest possible and those cheap PC s will all have Windows 8 on them.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
No one ever got fired for waiting for SP1 on a Microsoft Product.
I think Steve Sinofsky would have a different opinion on that.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
These users will get Windows 8 shoved down their throats one way or another
I've found Windows 7 to be a pretty decent OS. If W8 is anything close to it, most people will be satisfied - even if it's 'shoved down our throats'.

Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2012, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by wrenchy View Post
I've found Windows 7 to be a pretty decent OS.
It is a good OS, and very solid. Which js why IT will stay with Win7 for years and Win 8 desktop is DOA.

Ballmer will lie as usual and claim Win 8 downgrade sales as Win 8 sales, but usage data will show Win 8 desktop share as small and never approaching even half of Win 7.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2012, 03:41 AM

Windows 7 is clean, stable and proven and at least it has the classic Windows look to it. No one except neckbeards and those consumers buying new computers need to upgrade to Windows 8. I'll continue using Windows 7 for a few years because it's very good and I like it just as it is. I'm not going to be buying any touch-screen desktop computer and that's what that Live Tiles interface was mainly designed for. I've heard Windows 8 boots very fast and certainly $40 isn't an expensive amount for an upgrade. However, why bother. I never turn my computer off and I can just as soon use the $40 for something else I actually need.

Forum Links
Forum Rules