Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Greenpeace downgrades Apple over transparency issues

Greenpeace downgrades Apple over transparency issues
MacNN Staff
Nov 19, 2012, 08:59 AM

Environmental activism group Greenpeace has downgraded Apple in its 18th annual Guide to Green Electronics. The slip to sixth place is blamed on a "lack of transparency" with several issues, namely "GHG [greenhouse gas] emission reporting, clean energy advocacy, further information on its [Apple's] management of toxic chemicals, and details on post-consumer recycled plastic use."

Although the company places better in the Guide than a number of other businesses, Greenpeace takes Apple to task for several other problems as well. "Apple receives half marks in Sustainable Operations. Apple does not score high on the e-waste criteria, losing points for lacking a robust take-back programme in India," Greenpeace writes. "However it continues to score points for its global take-back programme, reporting that 2010 global recycling exceeded its 70% goal (as a percentage of sales 7 years ago), a level that it is confident it will maintain through 2015. Together with HP, Apple is a top scorer for policies and practices regarding conflict minerals, but fails in developing a paper procurement policy banning suppliers involved in deforestation and illegal logging." The top position in the Guide is held by Wipro, an Indian electronics firm. Immediately below it are HP, Nokia, Acer, and Dell. Some of the notable companies below Apple include Samsung (7th), Sony (8th), Lenovo (9th), and Research in Motion (16th).

Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2012, 11:54 AM

I don't care what Greenpeace thinks.
Screw 'em.
HyperNova Software, LLC
Check out SuperScanner! for the iPad

The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Nov 19, 2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I don't care what Greenpeace thinks.
Screw 'em.
Quoted because I wanted to say the same thing.
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.

Nov 19, 2012, 01:35 PM

Luckily what you care about is of no significance.

Thanks Greenpeace for all you do.

Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by PJL500 View Post
Thanks Greenpeace for all you do.
And what do they do? Hows that nuke thing going? Whaling stopped?
Sorry but Greenpeace went corporate a couple of decades ago. Now they're just another conglomerate interested in getting money and their name in the press.

When I give to help the environment I donate to WWF, Ducks Unlimited, Sierra Club etc. I don't waste my time or money with Greenpeace.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
And what do they do? Hows that nuke thing going? Whaling stopped?
Sorry but Greenpeace went corporate a couple of decades ago. Now they're just another conglomerate interested in getting money and their name in the press.
When I give to help the environment I donate to WWF, Ducks Unlimited, Sierra Club etc. I don't waste my time or money with Greenpeace.
That is just as wasteful as donating to Greenpeace. You are donating to organizations that focus on the symptoms of a larger problem rather than the cause.

The destruction of the environment is a symptom of the brokenness of the human condition. You should focus on helping combat poverty in regions like South America rather than donating to organizations that only exacerbate the problems even further. If you help your fellow man then you are potentially helping the environment.

The poor in south america are destroying the rain forests because they are trying to make some money.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Forum Links
Forum Rules