Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Rumor has Apple, Intel cooperating on Bluetooth watch

Rumor has Apple, Intel cooperating on Bluetooth watch
MacNN Staff
Dec 27, 2012, 07:53 AM

Apple and Intel are collaborating on a producing a Bluetooth-capable smart watch, claims Chinese site TGBus. The device will allegedly use a 1.5-inch OLED screen from RITEK subsidiary RiTdisplay, and ship in the first half of 2013. Few other details are mentioned, but it's expected to integrate with Siri and the iPhone, allowing people to take calls through the watch alone.

Although the news of a watch is coming largely out of the blue, a number of other companies have been working on so-called smart watches which integrate with smartphones. Perhaps the best-known example is the still-unreleased Pebble, which is promising to notify people of incoming calls, email, and messages, and integrate with apps to handle tasks like exercise tracking or music playback. Something already available is the Sony SmartWatch (pictured) for Android phones.

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2012, 08:11 AM

...the recently discontinued square ipod nano was so popular as a watch that prices rose dramatically after its cancellation, as people scrambled to get one...

Dec 27, 2012, 08:19 AM

Again showing moronic investors with no faith that Apple is still in the R&D business. Maybe people will wear watches again (the non-expensive kind). Someone else might be first, as the article indicates, but you know Apple, it will be the best. Then along comes Samesong with their "Watch us copy" tagline.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2012, 09:02 AM

Dick Tracy - where are you?

hayesk
Dec 27, 2012, 10:31 AM

No. Does anyone really believe this.

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by bobolicious View Post
...the recently discontinued square ipod nano was so popular as a watch that prices rose dramatically after its cancellation, as people scrambled to get one...
Yeah, that device was a bad design. Did you ever own one and try using it as a watch? I ruined a couple of units from water.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Yeah, that device was a bad design. Did you ever own one and try using it as a watch? I ruined a couple of units from water.
I gave one to my wife and she got a watch band for it. She LOVES it. Everyone that sees it raves about how cool it is. "Bad Design"? I don't think so.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
I gave one to my wife and she got a watch band for it. She LOVES it. Everyone that sees it raves about how cool it is. "Bad Design"? I don't think so.
Yes, it was a bad design for a watch because it is not even water resistant. Whether you would wear it on your arm band or on your wrist, there is a chance of it getting wet. It was never designed to be a watch or a sports band device but some people tried using it for that.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2012, 06:05 PM

Granted it was not good as a sports watch it is an exceptional dress watch, I have one and so does my 14 year old son. My daughter wants one but sadly they are no more.
All Apple really needed to do was add blue-tooth and program it to connect to the iPhone so that you could see incoming calls and messages on the screen and it would have been perfect.
My only issue with using the Nano as a watch was that it always wants to go back to music instead of the Time, and sometimes if I don't check the time for awhile it has to boot up.

Banned
Dec 27, 2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Yes, it was a bad design for a watch because it is not even water resistant. Whether you would wear it on your arm band or on your wrist, there is a chance of it getting wet. It was never designed to be a watch or a sports band device but some people tried using it for that.
Maybe you didn't search amazon for the waterproof version. You did not do your homework bud. People have been selling this for quite some time now. Try the internet next time for all your concerns.

Forum Links
Forum Rules