Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Nvidia shows Project Shield handheld gaming system at CES

Nvidia shows Project Shield handheld gaming system at CES
MacNN Staff
Jan 7, 2013, 07:06 AM

Nvidia has shown off a new handheld gaming system alongside its next-generation Tegra 4 mobile processor. Titled Project Shield, the portable gaming device will play Android-based games as well as PC titles on Steam, by streaming gameplay footage over a Wi-Fi connection from a personal computer that renders the game itself.

Acting as a wireless game receiver, the combined controller and screen will transmit inputs to the computer, which receives and interprets the commands for the currently-running game. Footage is rendered on a computer running an Nvidia Kepler-based GPU as opposed to the device, and is streamed back for viewing on the 5-inch multitouch display, in a manner that resembles a localized version of OnLive. As well as using the controller's own 1280x720-resolution display, it can also use Steam's Big Picture Mode and output video to a TV via HDMI, while audio is provided by a tuned port, bass reflex audio system. Jen-Hsun Huang, CEO and co-founder of Nvidia said of Project Shield's design: "We imagined a device that would do for games what the iPod and Kindle have done for music and books, letting us play in a cool new way." Tegra 4 was also unveiled formally at the same time, with details released at CES matching previously leaked information. Using the same 4-Plus-1 configuration as Tegra 3, the new system uses 72 graphics cores as well as the first quad-core application of ARM's Cortex-A15 CPU core, which will provide a 2.6-times faster web browsing experience and application performance increase. Global 4G LTE voice and data support is offered through an optional Nvidia Icera i500 chipset, which is said to be 40-percent the size of conventional modems while also being more efficient and provides four times the processing capability of its predecessor. Support for 4K video and a Computational Photography Architecture, which automatically processes HDR photos and video, were also confirmed. A release date and expected price for Project Shield has not been mentioned, but the company hopes it will be out by the second quarter.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jan 7, 2013 at 03:31 PM. )

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2013, 08:45 AM

So... they're basically ripping off the concept from the Wii U?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2013, 10:19 AM

I have to admit, I'm intrigued. In some ways, yes, it's following the trend of tablet or handheld gaming a la Wii U (which itself was an abstract "rip off" of using the iPad to game on the TV via Airplay, which itself was probably a rip off of something else, etc). But in other ways, this is going more the route of the Ouya in releasing a "console" experience via Android games, and then adds on top of it the ability to stream-play Steam games through your computer and wi-fi.

An interesting mashup! And an entirely conceivable concept because, ideally, you don't have to repurchase your games.. you just play from your existing library on a portable device! I'll wait and watch on this one...

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ParisAppleGuy View Post
...(which itself was an abstract "rip off" of using the iPad to game on the TV via Airplay, which itself was probably a rip off of something else, etc).
I suppose, although I think the Project Shield and Wii U video streaming may be a bit more complex. Airplay is optional, and it wouldn't surprise me if some scenarios experience lag. Plus, the Wii U was announced before AirPlay mirroring, but who cares. Here is an interesting article:

Wii U latency tested

Forum Links
Forum Rules