Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > AT&T opens FaceTime to tiered data plans, unlimited blocked

AT&T opens FaceTime to tiered data plans, unlimited blocked
MacNN Staff
Jan 16, 2013, 03:53 PM
(Updated with Free Press intention to file a Net Neutrality complaint for unlimited data plan omission) Following up on a silent rollout, AT&T has formally announced plans to enable FaceTime calls with any tiered data plan. The carrier previously lifted a policy restricting FaceTime to Mobile Share plans, but still required a device with a tiered plan and LTE, blocking out the iPhone 4S. "We have already begun updating our systems and processes and expect to start rolling the update out to customers on an ongoing basis beginning in the next couple of weeks," reads a blog post by AT&T's senior VP for voice and data, Mark Collins.

The iPhone 4 and iPad 2 won't be supported, but only because Apple itself prevents FaceTime from working over 3G on those devices. AT&T is continuing to block FaceTime use with grandfathered unlimited data plans, regardless of the device a person owns. Consumer advocacy group Free Press' Policy Director Matt Wood said in a statement that "AT&T's announcement is another step in the right direction," but added that "until AT&T makes FaceTime available to all of its customers, it is still in violation of the law and the broader principles of Net Neutrality. We remain ready to bring our complaint unless AT&T finishes the job and stops blocking this application altogether." AT&T may have twin reasons to lift FaceTime barriers. While the Mobile Share limit was in place the carrier was widely criticized for possibly violating FCC rules; opening up FaceTime could deflect any investigations or more negative publicity. AT&T's main competitors, Sprint and Verizon, have meanwhile left FaceTime largely unrestricted, and a similar approach will probably be used by T-Mobile later this year.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:16 PM. )
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2013, 04:39 PM
I definitely don't appreciate that they're blocking my phone...
Senior User
Jan 16, 2013, 05:09 PM
Technically, they blocked FaceTime on your phone. I presume your phone still works otherwise.
I do agree that selective application service blocking is annoying.
Jan 17, 2013, 08:04 AM
It seems that ATT will only fully comply when forced to by a judge. By the time that happens I will have fully transitioned to T-Mobile where there are no restrictions. These guys are thieves of the first degree.
Forum Links
Forum Rules