A man in South Korea was injured on Saturday after his Samsung Galaxy Note
exploded. The 55-year-old man apparently suffered second-degree burns to his right thigh, after the smartphone and spare battery he stored in his pants pocket suddenly ruptured and caused damage to his body and clothing.
Despite the severity of the incident, the Chosun Ilbo
gives little else in the way of details, except that it was reported by Bupyeong Fire Station in Incheon, and that it had not been reported to Samsung independently. A company spokesperson said "Lithium ion batteries can catch fire due to external pressure or sudden changes in temperature, so we're trying to understand what really happened."
The story mirrors that of a schoolboy, when his Galaxy S2 also exploded in his pocket, while a user of the Galaxy S II Skyrocket
encountered a similar fire-related failure. Another failure in Ireland was initially claimed to be a spontaneous combustion
, but later it was discovered he had put it in a microwave to dry it after the phone got wet.