Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Some EU countries list Mac Pro as 'currently unavailable'

Some EU countries list Mac Pro as 'currently unavailable'
MacNN Staff
Feb 18, 2013, 07:38 PM

As previously reported, Apple's Mac Pro tower is headed towards discontinuation in some countries of the European Union. Today, the computer is listed as "currently unavailable" at a number of European Apple online stores. The computers were scheduled for discontinuation of vendor orders on February 18, and all systems ordered prior to that date must be deliverable before March. Vendors will be allowed to sell stock after March 1. US availability is unaffected.

The computer is listed as "not compliant with Amendment 1 of regulation IEC 60950-1, Second Edition which becomes effective on this date [the 1st]." Specifically, wiring and power supplies are listed in violation, but no details on which specific parts may be the offenders is available. The Mac Pro hasn't received any major updates since August 2010, with a minor speed bump to the tower in June 2012. The existing enclosure has been in use for ten years since the original G5 tower was made available, with relatively minor architectural and component location changes for use with the Mac Pro's superior ventilation and enhanced connectivity over the older, Power PC-based originator.

Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2013, 08:05 PM

The end of the Mac as a professional platform is now imminent

Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2013, 07:28 AM

If that's the case, then there are either hardly any professionals in the world, or the end happened a while ago, when the iMac overtook the base Mac Pro in terms of horsepower.

VERY few use cases require a Mac Pro as it is.

We'll see what Apple has in store — TC has explicitly mentioned a successor in the works, so I wouldn't be gleefully rubbing troll hands just yet.

Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2013, 01:31 PM

http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

Although accurate as stated, saying "iMac overtook the base MP" is disingenous. There are a dozen MPs with Geekbench scores above the best iMac made. The top MP is about double CPU strength of the top iMac. Plus iMacs take less RAM, less GPU and have much weaker power supplies.

Hopefully a new MP will be released to meet EU requirements.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2013, 12:07 AM

...I have exerienced an inability to upgrade hardware easily for several years, since MacOS 10.4.11 in fact. I earn my living on these boxes. Lack of legacy support, roadmap planning, hardware issues and beautiful but impractical design have literally forced me to stick with what is working and send back a couple of boxes I had hoped might actually constitute an upgrade.

Is designing a product such as the current iMac that can't run an OS & therefore open a file from 3 years ago nor be made in quantities available in less than a month 'insanely great' irrespective of performance? Let's hope there are a few pleasant surprises in store to make up for the seeming neglect of the creative professional market since the consumer goldrush started...

Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2013, 02:10 AM

You haven't been able to install an older OS on newly released Apple hardware in over a decade.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2013, 10:35 PM

...at least for me - MacOS 10.4.11 with classic...

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2292

Enter the core2duo, the Nvidia dual link monitor adapter and the convolution of hardware and MacOS software combinations and permutations outlines in the article linked...

Forum Links
Forum Rules