Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Samsung unveils Passbook-like Wallet app

Samsung unveils Passbook-like Wallet app
MacNN Staff
Feb 27, 2013, 11:36 AM

Samsung today revealed a new mobile app, Wallet, at the ongoing Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The app is similar in concept to Apple's Passbook app for the iPhone, in that it saves items like tickets, boarding passes, coupons, and membership cards in a central place. Each item can be tied to time- or location-based push notifications, and/or updated in real-time if details change.

The app lacks NFC support, despite some Samsung phones including the technology, and a deal to support Visa's PayWave service in future phones. As with Passbook, the main way of validating tickets and passes in Wallet involves scanning barcodes. Samsung claims that many retailers prefer codes to NFC since it doesn't require any new infrastructure, but says it's open to the idea of adding NFC later. Wallet is currently only available in a developer preview form, including an SDK and API guides. The app is expected to reach the public in the near future though, and Samsung says it has already forged deals with Walgreens, Belly, Major League Baseball, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, and Lufthansa. More companies should add support post-launch.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM. )

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2013, 11:53 AM

If Apple wasn't around nobody would be innovating.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2013, 12:16 PM

To Manzanita, Inc.

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2013, 12:23 PM

so innovative.... next step: suing Apple's Passbook for copy infringement. Jerk!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2013, 12:27 PM

Monkey see, monkey do...

Senior User
Feb 27, 2013, 01:48 PM

Samsung will have Jack Nicholson buying flowers for his date w/ Jen Lawrence...to which she'll be in such awe that she'll give him a kiss by tapping her Galaxy to his! ...Agree w/ cgc...is this really the innovation that Apple haters say makes Samsung so cool now?!?!

Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2013, 05:50 PM

At least now we know exactly how long it takes Samsung to directly copy Apple ... loathe as I am for any more lawsuits, I hope Apple takes them to the cleaners over this ...
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

JEB
Feb 27, 2013, 09:36 PM

I think 'Costanza' would be a catchier name, Samsung . . . just sayin' . . .
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

Feb 27, 2013, 11:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU9ZUiy2pAI

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2013, 11:35 PM

The quote "Good Artists, copy, great artists steal" has been misunderstood by people like you quoting it. What is means is that good artists make copies but great artists come up with an interpretation that is so good that people forget the original. To "steal" an idea is to do such a good job at your own version as to make it your own creation. You are then "stealing" the credit from the original creator of the idea.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Feb 28, 2013, 08:58 AM

Typical fanboys coming to Apple's rescue.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
Typical fanboys coming to Apple's rescue.
Is name-calling your argument for Samsung? Why not try to defend Samsung or show how Apple copied someone else. In college I had to cite my sources or risk failing, Samsung and others just blatantly copy it and call it their own work and get lauded.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Feb 28, 2013, 03:00 PM

Interesting that all of you that have replied to me so far have ignored the 'shameless' part in that video. Very interesting indeed....

Forum Links
Forum Rules