Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Intel HD 4000 GPU driver update to give 10 percent boost

Intel HD 4000 GPU driver update to give 10 percent boost
MacNN Staff
Mar 31, 2013, 06:55 AM

Intel says that it is preparing an update for the integrated HD 4000 GPU found in its third-generation mobile 'Ivy Bridge' Core processors, reports Ultrabook News. The firmware update will fix bugs while also boosting performance by up to 10 percent while simultaneously improving battery life. The update, which is scheduled to arrive in April, will be welcome performance boost for ultrabook owners and others who depend on Intel's integrated graphics for their systems.

Intel's reps, speaking at the Game Developers Conference, said that the update (v. 15.31) is tailored for its next-generation 'Haswell' chips due in the second quarter, but it is being made available now for 'Ivy Bridge' users. The new drivers also add support for OpenCL 1.2, which should further supplement the graphics capabilities of its integrated HD 4000 GPUs. The integrated GPU in the forthcoming Haswell processor will double the graphics performance of the HD 4000.

For Windows users, Intel's update utility can check for and install firmware updates for its componentary. Although a number of current MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros incorporate the HD 4000 integrated GPU, Intel has not made any comment as to when it might be made available to those users. It is likely, however, that the update will be rolled into an Apple firmware update in due course.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Apr 1, 2013 at 05:19 AM. )

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2013, 12:11 PM

I have a late 2012 Mac Mini that could certainly use any improvement in graphics performance it can get. I use it to re-encode all my videos and sometimes I have it running eight hours straight at 100% CPU output and it barely even get warm and I never hear the fan. It's a great little machine.

Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2013, 01:46 PM

Is your video transcoding even graphics accelerated?

Forum Links
Forum Rules