Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple launches 50 billion app download contest, giving $10,000 credit

Apple launches 50 billion app download contest, giving $10,000 credit
MacNN Staff
May 2, 2013, 05:53 PM

Apple has launched a countdown to 50 billion app downloads on its iOS App Store, and is awarding a $10,000 gift card to the downloader, plus $500 gift cards to the next 50 downloaders following the landmark download. The representative countdown progress is seen in iTunes under the App Store section.

No purchase or download is technically necessary. According to the rules of the contest, Apple only accepts 25 entries per person or iTunes account per day, and the account holder that downloads the entry is considered the winner, regardless of who actually selects the app for purchase. The awards are redeemable in the iTunes store, App Store, and iBookstore only.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 3, 2013 at 02:25 AM. )

Mac Elite
May 3, 2013, 09:54 AM

Is the privacy loss of

"winner agrees to allow Sponsor to use his or her name, photograph, likeness, voice, prize information, and biographical information for publicity and promotional purposes without further compensation"

worth the $500 that most winners will receive? You decide.

May 5, 2013, 02:27 PM

Well, it's $10000, but then you have to wonder how you'd spend it anyways - there's like 10, maybe 12 good apps, and maybe 5 good songs on iTunes. Or you could get 10 'I Am Rich' ones. I guess.

Clinically Insane
May 5, 2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
Well, it's $10000, but then you have to wonder how you'd spend it anyways - there's like 10, maybe 12 good apps, and maybe 5 good songs on iTunes. Or you could get 10 'I Am Rich' ones. I guess.

You're either trying way too hard, or worthy of the world's pity for only liking five songs in the universe.

Let me guess:
Time to Say Goodbye
My Heart Will Go On
Everything I Do (I Do for You)
You Can Leave Your Hat On (legacy of an ex-girlfriend)
Memories (from "Cats")

Did I miss anything?

(FWIW, my biggest problem with this is that Apple still doesn't offer lossless audio files)

May 5, 2013, 06:18 PM

@Spheric Harlot: Those favourites of yours that you listed doesn't mean they're any good. I was referring to other ones.

@SierraDragon - I missed the $500 reference in the rules; either way, I think the same applies to the grand prize winner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules