Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > New York cell summit results in 'Secure our Smartphones' initiative

New York cell summit results in 'Secure our Smartphones' initiative
Thread Tools
MacNN Staff
Join Date: Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 13, 2013, 04:30 PM
New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon today announced the formation of a nationwide "Secure Our Smartphones" initiative aimed at encouraging the cell phone industry to adopt technologies that would deter theft by drying up the secondary market on which stolen devices are sold. The pair of officials announced the formation on the same day representatives from Apple, Google/Motorola, Microsoft and Samsung participated in a Smart Phone Summit convened in New York City

Co-chaired by Schneiderman and Gascon, the SOS initiative is a wide-reaching coalition of state Attorneys General, District Attorneys, major city Police Chiefs, state and city Comptrollers, public safety activists and consumer advocates from around the country.

"The epidemic of violent street crime involving the theft and resale of mobile devices is a very real and growing threat in communities all across America," said Attorney General Schneiderman. "According to reports, roughly 113 smartphones are stolen or lost each minute in the United States, with too many of those thefts turning violent. This nationwide coalition of leaders is committed to doing everything in our power to encourage industry to be good corporate citizens and take responsible steps to ensure the safety of our consumers."

According to Consumer Reports, the theft of cell phones makes up between 30 and 40 percent of all robberies nationwide. In 2012, 1.6 million smartphone thefts occurred and were reported to law enforcement in the US. A Harris poll of phone owners found that nearly 10 percent said their phone had been stolen at one point, and a recent study found that lost and stolen cell phones cost consumers over $30 billion last year.

None of the manufacturers invited to the summit have made any comment on the formation of the initiative. The group wants manufacturers to develop technology including a "kill switch" that would enable stolen devices to be permanently disabled, eliminating the economic incentive to steal devices. While the technology exists to completely wipe phones remotely, and exists in add-ons for Android and in the iOS, neither implementation permanently eliminates the phone's functionality.
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2