Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple TV 5.3 update adds HBO Go, Sky News, other networks

Apple TV 5.3 update adds HBO Go, Sky News, other networks
MacNN Staff
Jun 19, 2013, 12:17 PM

Apple has issued a v5.3 update for second- and third-generation Apple TVs. The new firmware adds support for several video services, most notably HBO Go, WatchESPN, and Sky News. Also included are Crunchyroll, which concentrates on anime and other Asian content, and Qello, which hosts concerts and music documentaries.

HBO Go and WatchESPN require that people already have paid cable subscriptions. The latter app does, however, include live video from ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, and ESPN Buzzer Beater/Goal Line, as well as some original shows.

The lack of HBO and sports content on the Apple TV has sometimes been leveled as a criticism against the set-top. HBO, for instance, has been available for some time on the Xbox 360, Roku boxes, and Samsung TVs, as well as iPhones, iPads, and Android devices.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2013, 01:05 PM

Apple seriously needs to add support for Korean-content provider Dramafever.com if they don't already have it.

Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2013, 02:05 PM

Dramafever.com? How about Amazon first. AFAIK, AppleTV still doesn't support Amazon Instant Video out of the box. The last I heard, you either had to jailbreak or run a tedious workaround.

Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2013, 02:06 PM

BTW, other than the lack of Amazon support, I love my AppleTV.

Senior User
Jun 19, 2013, 06:04 PM

Agree w/ Salsa...love my Apple TV(s), but also about AIV. Netflix and Hulu + are nice but they don't seem to have near the variety of offerings that Amazon has, as well as better bit rate buffering (less video freezes).

Looking forward to the HBO offering now, but still PO'd about the ESPN vs DirecTV war that prevents me from using WatchESPN on any devices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules