Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Texas firm sues Apple over iPhone's call forwarding features

Texas firm sues Apple over iPhone's call forwarding features
MacNN Staff
Jun 19, 2013, 04:50 PM
A Texas company, Bluebonnet Telecommunications, is suing Apple for patent infringement in relation to call forwarding technology. Specifically Bluebonnet says that the iPhone 4S and 5 violate US Patent No. 5,485,511, a patent that previously belonged to Siemens Rolm Communications but was picked up by Bluebonnet in June 1996. The patent describes a phone communicating with a central switch to generate a list of options, which are then displayed for the phone's user.

Bluebonnet charges that "the accused features that allow call forwarding have no practical use other than uses that infringe the 511 patent." The firm is seeking a permanent injunction against infringing products, and damage payments, including pre- and post-judgment interest. The case was filed through the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, which has a reputation for favoring plaintiffs in patent cases.

No judge has been assigned yet. The case is likely to be settled out of court or dismissed; Apple is currently engaged in more high-profile lawsuits such as the ones against Samsung, and is unlikely to want to spend time or money on smaller defendants.
Jun 19, 2013, 05:07 PM
your comment
The Mighty
Location: Well the sports issue was within arm's reach but they closed up shop and kicked me out. And I'm out of toilet paper.
Jun 19, 2013, 05:14 PM
Oh Texas, how quickly you forget... translation: **** off with your lawsuits:

Apple, Samsung, Sandisk sued over MP3 | Security Central - InfoWorld
This one time, at Boot Camp, I stuck a flute up my PC.
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2013, 05:55 PM
Maybe Blue Bonnet margarine should sue Blue Bonnet Telecomm for stealing their name?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2013, 01:15 AM
I was going to post a snarky comment about this story yet, because I just spent about 20 minutes getting my MacNN password rest, I completely forgot what I was going to say - oh, well... at least my password is reset.
Forum Links
Forum Rules