Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Review: Highpoint RocketStor 5212 Thunderbolt dual-drive dock

Review: Highpoint RocketStor 5212 Thunderbolt dual-drive dock
MacNN Staff
Aug 25, 2013, 04:49 PM

Highpoint has a wide series of hardware for every aspect of drive connectivity. Its only logical that the company would churn out a Thunderbolt version of its 5000-series dual-drive dock. Sure enough, earlier this year, the RocketStor 5212 Dual-Bay Thunderbolt Storage Dock for both 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch drives shipped a bit earlier this year, to take advantage of Intel's and Apple's new connectivity standard. Check our review to see if the latest drive dock from Highpoint is a vital IT pro's toolbox.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2013, 03:15 AM

What's stupid is the review repeatedly talks about the value of the drive dock, and how for the price it should include a cable, but never actually says what the price of the dock is.

MacNN Staff
Aug 26, 2013, 03:54 AM

The linked full review does indeed state the price of the dock, right at the very top: $269. If you're not seeing a small block of info (price, dev contact, star rating, pros and cons) next to the first paragraph of the full review, let us know at news@macnn.com. Thanks.
_chas_

Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2013, 09:59 AM

The review details are under the "adPlaceholder" div so it will probably be blocked by any ad blocker.

Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2013, 10:26 AM

Indeed, I see no price listed anywhere on either link or on this article. What's the point of an article about a link to another article anyway? When you click on a link that promises to be a review, you don't expect it to actually be an article that links to a second article which is the actual review. Kind of a fail all around isn't it?

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2013, 10:27 AM

OWC has the USB-3 version listed for $199 so TB is a $70 enhancement. I wish the cost of TB would come down, especially the cables (checked HighPoint's website and the TB drive doesn't come with a cable so we're talking about another $30 for a short TB cable). NewerTech has single disk dock products, including one with eSATA but none with Thunderbolt and no dual drive docks. I like the idea of this product and have used the single-dock Newertech many times. Checking prices of fixed dual drive TB systems puts this product at a comparable price and if someone really wants to change disk drives, it might be usable. Hard drives are very inexpensive for their capacity but I can't see myself setting up collections of RAID disks that I wouldn't want/need on-line all the time.

MacNN Staff
Aug 26, 2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
Indeed, I see no price listed anywhere on either link or on this article. What's the point of an article about a link to another article anyway? When you click on a link that promises to be a review, you don't expect it to actually be an article that links to a second article which is the actual review. Kind of a fail all around isn't it?
No fail, just a CMS and search engine optimization oddity. From the home page in the news item first paragraph, if you click on the words "our review" (or similar in other reviews), it'll take you to the review page itself, and not the news page announcing the review. Alternatively, you could click on the right sidebar, that contains the three most recent reviews.

Regarding the price- it is in the review info box, but yes, it does seem that some adblockers are knocking that out. The retail price is $269. I'll put it somewhere in the text tonight.

Forum Links
Forum Rules