Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > EU demands more concessions from Samsung to avoid $18B antitrust fine

EU demands more concessions from Samsung to avoid $18B antitrust fine
MacNN Staff
Sep 9, 2013, 01:16 PM

European Union regulators have reportedly found Samsung's settlement offer to be insufficient, forcing the company to expand its proposal to avoid a fine for its patent lawsuits against Apple. Samsung last year dropped its injunction request, which was deemed improper, however the European Commission continued to pursue antitrust actions that could result in a fine of more than $18 billion.

Samsung first initiated talks with the EC in June, after the agency ruled that the company had acted in an anticompetitive manner when it called for injunctions against Apple for using standards-essential patents. The technology is related to UMTS-based 3G standards, which Samsung promised to license on fair terms throughout Europe.

"The Commission can confirm that Samsung has submitted proposals, the Commission has assessed them and asked Samsung to improve them," EU spokesman Jonathan Todd said, according to a Reuters report.

Specific details regarding Samsung's initial settlement offer and any recent amendments have yet to surface.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 9, 2013 at 01:42 PM. )

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2013, 04:45 PM

Sometimes I wonder if the EU simply contrives these lawsuits--and the regulations that justify them--to extract money from successful foreign corporations such as Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung. If you can't create, sue those who do seems to be the mantra.

Europe needs to learn to innovate in areas other than cars and not simply go after others who do.

Of course, the high-tech industries in the U.S. and Asia seemed to be playing a similar game, one that might be called "your obvious idea seems to be a lot like an obvious idea that I never-the-less patented so I am suing you."
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

MacNN Staff
Sep 9, 2013, 05:30 PM

I can't comment on your theory generally, but I think it's pretty obvious and clear that Samsung acted illegally in pursuing lawsuits for "infringement" of standards-essential patents and then compounded the illegality by demanding sales injunctions. Samsung is VERY clearly guilty of not living up to its FRAND obligations, is discriminating against competitors and using the SEPs as legal weapons to gain leverage on non-SEP licensing.

In this particular case, the EU is being entirely too *lenient* with Samsung and needs to consider an even larger fine if Samsung won't behave as a disincentive to other companies as well (looking directly at Google/Motorola, the other "bad actor" in SEPs/FRAND disputes).
_chas_

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2013, 05:38 PM

There may be some over simplification going on there, Inkling. I'm sure Europe would be better if it were America, but it aint. I'm personally pretty happy with Europe being Europe. Pluses and minuses can be found everywhere you go. Everywhere.
It should not be overlooked that obvious ideas are always obvious in hindsight. Particularly if they lead to a huge success.

Forum Links
Forum Rules