Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > SD Association spells out minimum card speeds for 4K2K video playback

SD Association spells out minimum card speeds for 4K2K video playback
MacNN Staff
Nov 7, 2013, 06:13 PM
The SD Association that controls the guidelines for SD storage cards today announced a new high-performance option and symbol specifically designed to support a wide array of 4K or 2K (the latter also known as 1080p or "Full HD") television and video products. A new Ultra High Speed (UHS) Speed Class 3 (U3) symbol will indicate products capable of recording 4K or 2K video and will operate exclusively on SDXC UHS-I and UHS-II memory cards and devices and SDHC UHS-I and UHS-II memory cards and devices.

The UHS Speed Class 3 has defined 30MB per second constant minimum write speed to ensure high-quality video recordings for the new standard. Cards that meet the new spec will be able to record 4K or 2K video, live broadcasts, and other high bit-rate content on high-performance cameras such as Digital Single Lens Reflex (D-SLR), Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (D-SLM), camcorders and video cameras.

New devices offering the UHS Speed Class 3 will be backwards compatible, and will work with existing SD memory cards. UHS-I cards are capable of pushing up to 104MB per second, with UHS-II cards supporting speeds up to 312MB per second.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 10, 2013 at 02:18 AM. )
Forum Links
Forum Rules