Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Android-to-iPhone switch rate higher during iPhone 5s, 5c launch

Android-to-iPhone switch rate higher during iPhone 5s, 5c launch
MacNN Staff
Nov 11, 2013, 11:05 AM

The number of new iPhone buyers switching from an Android device increased during the launch of the iPhone 5s and 5c, a new Consumer Intelligence Research Partners study claims. The firm interviewed 400 buyers of the new iPhones during the devices' first 30 days, and found that about 20 percent of them were coming over from Android. That compares with only 16 percent for the launch of the iPhone 5 in 2012.

The number of people upgrading from a previous iPhone also rose, from 55 percent to 65 percent. Switchers coming from BlackBerry and other smartphone platforms -- two separate categories, in the CIRP study -- shrank, as did the amount of people upgrading from a basic "feature" phone. Marginally up was the group that got an iPhone as their very first phone.

The patterns are consistent with trends this fall, suggesting that more Android owners are shifting to iPhones than vice versa. CIRP has also previously noted that iPhone buyers tend to skew younger, with more buyers in the 18-24 and 25-34 age categories than with leading Android phone producer Samsung. At the same time, they also tend to be disproportionately richer than Samsung buyers, with higher percentages of people earning between $50,000-75,000, $75,000-150,000, or over $150,000 per year. Samsung produces more low- to mid-range phones, though, whereas Apple concentrates exclusively on the high-end market, even with the iPhone 5c.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2013, 12:34 PM

OMG! It is impossible, once people have experienced the delights of the open system, how can they go to the iShackles of the all controlling jobsian utopy! It must be an error (time to pull out the mythical and totally misinterpreted "market share" numbers), or the author must be a shill paid by Cupertino.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2013, 06:01 PM

This doesn't surprise me. People who want an iPhone get an iPhone. People who don't specify what they want when they go into an ATT or Verizon shop will be handed a cheap default Android device such as a Koycera Hydro Elite or a Casio Gz'One. The question is whether people who wanted a specific top end Android phone such as the Samsung Galaxy IV or the Moto X are switching or not. Android will dominate the raw numbers simply because the Android Smart phone has almost completely replaced the older "Feature Phone". You can still get a non-smart phone, but it's highly discouraged.
--

MacNN Editor
Nov 11, 2013, 07:06 PM

I am perfectly okay with people owning an Android device. Competition is good.

But clearly, this and other studies tell us that iPhones are seen as a step up from Android phones, even flagship Android phones.

I can't speak for others, but I don't need Apple to be top dog in a given fight for me (or, I suspect, Apple) to be happy -- mediocrity often wins the day on volume. McDonald's sells more hamburgers than anyone else -- does that make them the best hamburger restaurant?

So Apple doesn't have to be number one. They just have to be the overall best option available, and while I give Android props for being a quick study and Windows Phone and BB props for being genuine alternatives, I haven't seen an Android (or any other platform) product yet that is so clearly superior (or even equal) to the iPhone that it makes the iPhone look like anything less than the genuine best of breed.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules