Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB hub with the maximum number of ports?

USB hub with the maximum number of ports?
Senior User
Jan 5, 2005, 10:07 PM

I found out the 4-port USB hub is not enough for me nowadays, so I want to get a hub with more ports. I know there are 7-port USB 2.0 hub readily available, but I wonder does anyone seen any USB hubs available that has heaps more ports?

Please note, what I am seeking here is what's the maximum numbers of ports available off-the-shelf in one USB hub, not daisy-chaining several hubs to get the 128 USB device limit etc.

Nor it would be likely for be to buy an 64-port USB hub if there is one available (unless it's cost the same as a 7-port hub) What I am looking here is have anyone seen a single hub with a hugh numbers of ports with it.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2005, 12:39 AM

A quick google search turned up the following:
Belkin F5U027
D-Link DSB-H7
GWC 7 Port Stackable Hub

As far as USB goes, you will have a hard time finding anything over 7 ports. While the USB spec does allow up to 128 devices on one bus, it is impossible to get more than 7 devices on one hub. From there on, you must daisy chain.

Senior User
Jan 6, 2005, 09:22 PM

So, only 7-port hub??

I have seen this in google:
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Ctg_USB_Hub_26828
but I don't know if it is a 10-port USB hub, or a 10-port FireWire hub, or a 5-port USB and 5-port FireWire (the description are contradictary )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
I found out the 4-port USB hub is not enough for me nowadays, so I want to get a hub with more ports. I know there are 7-port USB 2.0 hub readily available, but I wonder does anyone seen any USB hubs available that has heaps more ports?

Please note, what I am seeking here is what's the maximum numbers of ports available off-the-shelf in one USB hub, not daisy-chaining several hubs to get the 128 USB device limit etc.

Nor it would be likely for be to buy an 64-port USB hub if there is one available (unless it's cost the same as a 7-port hub) What I am looking here is have anyone seen a single hub with a hugh numbers of ports with it.
I know every one is going to jump on me for this suggestion. But I use a hub by PerTech. It has 7 ports, it is engineered to provide ample power without problems. Here is the link: PerTech Hub . It costs a little more but I haven't had a USB related problem since I moved to this hub.

Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by stevenind:
I know every one is going to jump on me for this suggestion. But I use a hub by PerTech. It has 7 ports, it is engineered to provide ample power without problems. Here is the link: PerTech Hub . It costs a little more but I haven't had a USB related problem since I moved to this hub.
Definitely no, because it's only 7 ports (there are many others choices for 7-port hub), and by the looks of it, it's a 120V US plug only. I doubted very much they would have 240V Australian Plug.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
So, only 7-port hub??

I have seen this in google:
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Ctg_USB_Hub_26828
but I don't know if it is a 10-port USB hub, or a 10-port FireWire hub, or a 5-port USB and 5-port FireWire (the description are contradictary )
I believe that is a 6-USB/4-Firewire port hub.

Forum Links
Forum Rules