Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Quietest available graphics card for Powermac G5 that's dual-link?

Quietest available graphics card for Powermac G5 that's dual-link?
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 07:12 AM

Is there a fanless graphics card for the Powermac G5 that supports at least one dual-link port?

My older dual 1.8Ghz doesn't have a dual-link port on the graphics card and I'll want one for my 30" that I would like to go pick up

Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 10:38 AM

The only fanless graphics card with a dual-link DVI port for the PM G5 would be the Mac version of the Radeon 9650. It's an OEM card, so you'd have to find it used or from a retailer who bought it as repair part.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 03:29 PM

Thankas for the quick response Leonard Hopefully that card will be adequate for Motion, FCP, or Aperture

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2006, 07:40 PM

apparently the ati 9650 is VERY hard to get

does anyone happen to know what the quiestest [with fan] graphics card with a dual-link connector is?

Senior User
Nov 9, 2006, 07:51 PM

you could always buy a "noisy" card and replace the fan/heatsink with a zalman or arctic cooler one that is quiet enough to suit you

Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
you could always buy a "noisy" card and replace the fan/heatsink with a zalman or arctic cooler one that is quiet enough to suit you
Extending on this idea, you could underclock the card if it is still too hot. Aperture and Shake work would slow down, though.

You could also consider getting some of that that foam for installing into computers to make them quieter. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the heat your card throws off, or modifying it in any way.

Senior User
Nov 10, 2006, 04:28 AM

It must be stressed that, cool or not, the 9650 is now a very sucky card.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 05:52 AM

The 9650 is fine for 2D work, and seldom 3D ...... I'm mostly just needing the quiestest card that can power the 30" ACD .... as long as it renders everything on screen, I'm fine with it

Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by badtz View Post
apparently the ati 9650 is VERY hard to get

does anyone happen to know what the quiestest [with fan] graphics card with a dual-link connector is?

There aren't too many other choices. The Radeons X800XT or X850XT, or the Geforce6800GT or 6800 Ultra are the only other cards I can think of, but they all have fans and I've heard comments from those that are fussy about noise (noise is a relative thing, what one person finds noisy, is quiet to another) that they are noisy.

edit: Duh, I always forget about that new 9600 Pro card ATI is retailing. Apparently the ATI retail 9600 Pro for Mac & PC has a dual-link DVI port. It shouldn't have a fan since it is a 9600. Just make sure it says it is for Mac & PC (especially the Mac part) and it has a dual link DVI port. There are alot of OEM 9600 Pro cards out there without the dual link DVI. The part # should be 100-435060 according to ATI's site Buy - Price List - Mac US
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 04:12 AM

I think the 9600 pro will be it! Thanks AGAIN Leonard! Easier to find, and about the same price range. Two DVI ports with one being dual-link .... pixel shader performance could be better [a lot better] .... but it'll do. And it's passively cooled.

Forum Links
Forum Rules