Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Command-line access to firewire tape drive

Command-line access to firewire tape drive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 02:04 PM

Hi,

I have an Exabyte VXA-2e firewire tape drive. I need to setup a script that will backup various things on a mac computer to tape.

For various reasons, we do not want to use graphical software (like retrospect). We would like to create a script that will do the backup, log results and email us.

However, I do not know how to access the tape drive in Mac OS X. I have a few questions:

1. How can I verify that is is properly detected (something like a system command that would like any detected firewire device and its status)? Graphical commands would also help, as this is mainly to verify the tape drive connectivity.

2. How do I access the drive (from command-line or GUI)? Is there a /dev/ name for it?

3. What command exist for the tape manipulation (rewind, fast-forward, get status, eject)?

4. How would I do a simple tar to tape?

Can anyone refer me to some good websites or books about using a tape drive in Mac OS X?

Also, maybe some links for AppleScript regarding tape drive.

Thanks a lot.

Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 06:00 PM

I'd start with reading the man page for tar (Tape ARchive).

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 06:58 PM

The tar man page does not answer any of my questions.

I am not asking for help using tar, I know how to do that.

The only thing that the tar man page says that I thought might be useful to me is that is says the tape drive is /dev/sa0, but I do not have a /dev/sa0 even though the tape drive is connected, and the tape drive does work in retrospect. This is why I ask what a firewire tape drive is identified as.

Thanks.

Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 08:43 PM

It was just an answer for #4...

1) Look for it in system profiler.

2) What do you mean access? Check /Volumes for it's location.

3) Read the man page for mtio.

Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It was just an answer for #4...

1) Look for it in system profiler.

2) What do you mean access? Check /Volumes for it's location.

3) Read the man page for mtio.

If it exists in /Volumes, it is probably mounted on his Desktop. I don't think tape drives normally mount. What I would do is reboot and do a

sudo dmesg

and see if the tape drive is being detected at boot. If it is, it should indicate the device node it has been assigned to.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 12:59 PM

I looked in System Profiler and the tape drive is detected under Firewire. It says the following:

VXA-2 2105:

Manufacturer: EXABYTE
Model: 0x1
GUID: 0xD0160000000AEB
Maximum Speed: Up to 200 Mb/sec
Connection Speed: Up to 200 Mb/sec
Sub-units:
VXA-2 2105 Unit:
Unit Software Version: 0x10483
Unit Spec ID: 0x609E
Firmware Revision: 0x120
Product Revision Level: 2105
Sub-units:
VXA-2 2105 SBP-LUN:

I did not see any messages in dmesg about the drive though.

By access, I mean read/write from/to a tape. In linux, I would normally use tar with /dev/nst0, however this is obviously different with a firewire tape drive in Mac OS X. And then I would also need a way of controlling the tape (rewind, eject, etc...). In linux, this was done using the mt command and the same /dev/nst0.

Do I have to get mtio from somewhere? I do not have such a command and I don't have a man page for it.

This TOLIS Group, Inc. is essentially what I am looking for, but I was expecting this to be part of the OS (or a free download from apple or maybe someone else).

Thanks for you help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules