Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > You're tricked by Apple and Apple TV

You're tricked by Apple and Apple TV
Baninated
Apr 4, 2007, 03:03 AM

‘Hey man, have you gotten your Apple TV?’
‘Yes, and yours?’
‘I got it, too.’
Last week, all the people were talking about this little box, this cute, wireless, new-concept, set-top box. It is astonishing that it is so beautiful and it is really ‘wireless’, all you get are an Apple TV and a power supply cable. You will have to buy the other cables to connect to the TV additionally.

After we connected it with the TV and the computer, actually, we found that it didn’t make our living rooms more enjoyable like we supposed to be. We have no choice at all. We can only get the video to Apple TV from the only one source: from iTunes, via the wireless network adapter, and then piped out to the HDTV. It will make our TV feel strange to our DVD Player and our traditional TV Program. We can’t watch our home DVD. We can’t view our former video that encoded as XviD format. We can’t view HD Movie on our HDTV!

There is only 640*480 video sold on iTunes now, even though the Apple TV can adjust the video to 720p (which is similar to the video quality of DVD), the video effect will not be gratifying. Maybe there will be videos at high resolution sold on iTunes, but it doesn’t now.

So we’d find our way to make the flat screen TV work effectively. Find a way to transfer our former family video and beloved LPs to Apple TV. A number of programs will help you turn your video and DVD to Apple TV video/audio files. (-link deleted-Video to Apple TV Converter Click here to -link deleted-Download).

a)Many people complain that the 40G hard drive of Apple TV is too small. Seriously speaking, 40 GB is smaller than our iPod and we don't like to have to pick and choose what to sync. It is more troublesome than switch the DVD disk in DVD player. Then you can upgrade the hard drive like this, look, this will probably make you lose your Apple warranty.

b)Apple TV's another most disappointing trait is its inability to play nice with different video formats. But that doesn't mean you're stuck with MPEG-4 and H.264. Follow these instructions and soon you'll be able to add XviD and perhaps a few other video codec to your new white box.

c)Far from being a hack, but useful nonetheless, is confirmation that Apple TV does indeed work with non-HDTV. All you need is a TV with component inputs. Just make sure your TV has a simulated widescreen mode and you're good to go.

When or if Apple TV will allow people to use these function in the next generation, it is not sure yet, even it is useless now, but I like it very much, and doesn't feel any loss, because I got an Apple Computer without monitor at $299.
( Last edited by ghporter; Apr 5, 2007 at 09:00 PM. )

Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 03:51 PM

I'm almost inclined to agree, but i think you're thinking now when all the early-adopters are thinking down the road . . . . video podcasts, more movie selections, software upgrades
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 04:16 PM

Welcome Fresh-Faced Recruit,

Originally Posted by alex_blueface View Post
Last week, all the people were talking about this little box, this cute, wireless, new-concept, set-top box. It is astonishing that it is so beautiful and it is really ‘wireless’, all you get are an Apple TV and a power supply cable. You will have to buy the other cables to connect to the TV additionally.
IMHO, Apple probably should have shipped it with some cables, but at the same time, which cables should they have included? There would have been complaining either way. "What, no HDMI!!!" etc. etc. I just picked up a nice Sony DVD player and it didn't have all the cables either.

Mountains out of molehills IMHO.

After we connected it with the TV and the computer, actually, we found that it didn’t make our living rooms more enjoyable like we supposed to be. We have no choice at all.
You are speaking about your own experience, many people enjoy the unit.

Also, if you don't like it Send it back! Apple isn't forcing you to keep it.

We can only get the video to Apple TV from the only one source: from iTunes, via the wireless network adapter, and then piped out to the HDTV.
I chalk this up to you not doing your homework. It was known beforehand that it would only play what was in your iTunes library.

It will make our TV feel strange to our DVD Player and our traditional TV Program.
No idea what you are talking about there.

We can’t watch our home DVD. We can’t view our former video that encoded as XviD format. We can’t view HD Movie on our HDTV!
Again, this was ALL known before hand. The tech specifications CLEARLY said it would not play Xvid or Divx. It also isn't a DVD player!

There is only 640*480 video sold on iTunes now, even though the Apple TV can adjust the video to 720p (which is similar to the video quality of DVD), the video effect will not be gratifying. Maybe there will be videos at high resolution sold on iTunes, but it doesn’t now.
Once again... this was all known before you purchased. People WANTED the iTunes Store to upgrade the video quality, but they didn't.

Also, if you have the know how, you can convert your regular DVDs to an iTunes compatable format that is playable on your tv.

Also, this is a brand new unit. Give it time (or don't).

So we’d find our way to make the flat screen TV work effectively. Find a way to transfer our former family video and beloved LPs to Apple TV. A number of programs will help you turn your video and DVD to Apple TV video/audio files.).
Nice plug for DVD Ripper... I'm guessing this is spam?

There are plenty of free options out there.

a)Many people complain that the 40G hard drive of Apple TV is too small. Seriously speaking, 40 GB is smaller than our iPod and we don't like to have to pick and choose what to sync. It is more troublesome than switch the DVD disk in DVD player. Then you can upgrade the hard drive like this, look, this will probably make you lose your Apple warranty.
Again, again, again, YOU KNEW THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASED THE UNIT!!! Did you even really buy one?

Yet another plug for DVD Ripper Copy... Hmmm... Starting to think it's spam.

b)Apple TV's another most disappointing trait is its inability to play nice with different video formats. But that doesn't mean you're stuck with MPEG-4 and H.264. Follow these instructions and soon you'll be able to add XviD and perhaps a few other video codec to your new white box.
]
Again, again, again X100, YOU KNEW THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASED THE UNIT!!!

c)Far from being a hack, but useful nonetheless, is confirmation that Apple TV does indeed work with non-HDTV. All you need is a TV with component inputs. Just make sure your TV has a simulated widescreen mode and you're good to go.
Find it here
Great... you you buy an expensive unit for a SD TV... great.

When or if Apple TV will allow people to use these function in the next generation, it is not sure yet, even it is useless now, but I like it very much, and doesn't feel any loss, because I got an Apple Computer without monitor at $299.
Besides your horrendous grammar here, you clearly have no idea what the Apple TV is designed to be.
( Last edited by icruise; Apr 5, 2007 at 11:47 AM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
Nice plug for DVD Ripper... I'm guessing this is spam?
That was the feeling a got from the entire post. Non-effective, odd spam.

Moderator Emeritus
Apr 4, 2007, 09:23 PM

It's spam. And he's banned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules