Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty mouse won't scroll down...

Mighty mouse won't scroll down...
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2007, 11:57 PM

My mighty mouse won't scroll down. All other directions are fine but nothing happens when I try to scroll down.

What could be the problem?
12" PowerBook G4 - 1.33 GHz 768 MB RAM - OS X 10.5.1

Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2007, 04:33 AM

Try a quick forum search and you'll fine hundreds of threads on this.. you might just need to give the ball a clean!!!!!!!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Senior User
Aug 30, 2007, 07:04 AM

or a new mouse..
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2007, 08:11 AM

I had this problem with my old mighty mouse. I tried to clean it and I even tried to take it apart... the latter didn't work out so well. Someone at work then posted that they were selling one for $15, so I jumped on it and that is the one I've been using for about 4 months now.

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2007, 11:16 AM

I had to clean mine every other day, I threw it out and got a $10 one button pro mouse off of ebay and haven't looked back.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2007, 10:25 PM

I occasionally have the same issue, my mighty mouse is only a few months old, and I only use it for a couple hours/day.

I fix it by turning it off, waiting until it actually disconnects (usually takes 10-30 seconds - you can tell with Growl + hardware growler) Then I take out the battery, put it back in, and then it works.

Oddly, that's the only combination I can use to get it to scroll down again.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by paularizer View Post
My mighty mouse won't scroll down. All other directions are fine but nothing happens when I try to scroll down.

What could be the problem?
Hi there paularizer,
Exactly the same thing happened to my Bluetooth MM this last week, wouldn't scroll down etc. The problem is caused by grease and other stuff emanating from your hands and fingers ...
Don't be tempted to take it apart - that will void any warranty.
You may want to try the following short term 'cure.' I tried holding the mouse upside down and vigorously cleaning the track ball with an iClean wipe; this cured the problem for a while - but then a few days later I had the same problem... so out came the iCleane again!
It then worked intermittently - one day OK, one day not Ok!
I grew tired of this game, so I 'phoned Apple and because it was stiil in warranty (10 months old) they have replaced it with a new one.
If yours is in warranty, then maybe this is the route to take.
Trouble is, the old one is now working OK ..mmm... although it is still waiting for a courier to pick it up and return it to Apple!
On the other hand maybe another 'cure' would be to invest in a pair of 'White Surgical Gloves' .... ah, but thats another story ...!!
Good luck
voicebox.
( Last edited by voicebox; Aug 31, 2007 at 10:50 AM. )
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

Senior User
Oct 7, 2007, 02:40 AM

i also ahave this problem, mine wont scroll up or down, unless i press very hard, i think i need to clean it perhaps?

Oct 11, 2007, 02:28 PM

So the mighty mouse does have a 1 year warranty? Cos I went to the Glasgow Apple Store and politely got told to **** off. I've had mine 10 months too and the scroll ball stopped working. I was using a wired one in college the other day and the right click seemed to work better. Has anyone else found this?

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2007, 04:00 PM

i had the same problem but some googling and i found this tip that worked:

turn the mouse upside down, rub the ball vigorously on your pants. try it. Repeat until it works. maybe blow in the hole now and then.

I did this to mine and it's been fine since.

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2008, 04:11 AM

My cabled Mighty Mouse stops scrolling in one direction or the other occasionally.

I fix it by licking my forefinger, scrolling with the ball, and it cleans itself.

It then works perfectly for a few more months.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Aug 31, 2008, 05:31 AM

You can also try just turning it around so that the ball points downward and then turn the ball with your finger a bit. That helps when you scrolling gets a bit wonky.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2008, 07:41 AM

Put a piece of A4 paper on the table.

Turn the Mighty Mouse upside down and press the scroll ball down on the paper.

Vigorously scrub the mouse up, down, sideways, and in circles.

9 times out of 10, this will at least temporarily fix any scrolling problems.

Sep 3, 2008, 12:12 PM

Same exact problem here. Apple replaced it, no questions asked. But, now the replacement is doing the same thing. Sometimes cleaning it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

This in in addition to four other people I know who have a mighty mouse that no longer scrolls down. Obviously, this is a widespread problem. I just blame it on design flaw myself, but who knows. I don't personally know a single happy might mouse owner myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules