Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Rearrange files on USB drive?

Rearrange files on USB drive?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2010, 01:51 PM

Hi -- I just bought a new car stereo with a USB port. My thumb drive plugs into it and plays mp3s.

BUT, when I load the songs onto the thumb drive, they do not list in the correct order. Is there a way for me to rearrange them so they play in the order I want?

Thanks.

Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by antipode View Post
Hi -- I just bought a new car stereo with a USB port. My thumb drive plugs into it and plays mp3s.

BUT, when I load the songs onto the thumb drive, they do not list in the correct order. Is there a way for me to rearrange them so they play in the order I want?

Thanks.
rename the files.

-t

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2010, 03:31 PM

That's a lot of work.

Besides, it won't work. I have multiple albums here.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2010, 04:50 PM

Get a batch renaming program and add a numerical prefix to the files so they're in the correct order.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by antipode View Post
That's a lot of work.

Besides, it won't work. I have multiple albums here.
Read the manual to your car stereo. It will tell you what options you have.

There is nothing that you can do with just "rearranging" files on the USB drive.

-t

Administrator
Sep 11, 2010, 06:55 PM

Typical car MP3 players go by the folder/directory layout of the files. If you want to play things in the album order, you'll have to ensure that the files are named so they are parsed in order. Like this:
01-Hard Day's Night
02-Magical Mystery Tour
03-Revolution
etc.

Car stereos are not particularly smart about file handling. And turtle's observation that the stereo's manual is very important. It will tell you exactly what you can do in terms of play order, search, and a lot more.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules