Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Power Button

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Power Button
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2013, 01:59 AM

Twice now, I've gotten tech support calls from friends asking how to turn on their keyboard.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2013, 03:39 AM

I wonder if this is getting so many reads (relatively speaking) because people see the title and think "hey... I can tell him where they hid it!"

Feb 4, 2013, 07:51 AM

Heh. The batteries in the keyboard last so long that, when I do have to replace them, I will admit to having to stop for a moment and recall where the power button is.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2013, 04:15 AM

They drain far more quickly in the trackpad, which has the same setup, so I've had some memory burn-in.

Feb 5, 2013, 07:42 AM

Does the trackpad drain as quickly as the Magic Mouse? That thing is a battery vampire.

Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2013, 09:08 AM

Really? I'm using Apple's eneloop rechargeables, and they last months in both the trackpad and the Magic Mouse.

Feb 5, 2013, 09:14 AM

I'm using some non-Apple rechargables in my Magic Mouse and they rarely last an entire month. Usually closer to three weeks, and that's starting to drop with repeated recharging. Normal alkalines last, maybe, a couple of months. It's been like that since the mouse was new.

P
Feb 5, 2013, 10:09 AM

That likely means that the MM requires a fairly high minimum voltage to work. Most rechargables deliver 1.5V when fully charged, and then taper off more or less rapidly, relying on the fact that most things have a bit of safety margin in the amount of voltage they need to work.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2013, 05:38 PM

Eneloop, FTW.

They have a good slow drain profile, though I can't say I get months from a trackpad.

Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2013, 06:35 PM

To be fair, I don't work at the desk full days every day. More like half the time, or a little more than that,

Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2013, 08:05 PM

Glad I looked in here. Constant trackpad use absolutely burns through batteries. Going to try out the Eneloop rechargeables

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2013, 08:15 PM

I don't use the trackpad a whole bunch. With the Eneloops I had to change them more than I'd like, but it didn't drive me batty.

I've switched to alkalines, which of course work the best, but that's only because I now have a steady supply of slightly used alkalines which it would be silly to waste.

Forum Links
Forum Rules