Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Seagate 2TB drive suddenly unwriteable

Seagate 2TB drive suddenly unwriteable
Feb 25, 2013, 12:17 PM

In January, purchased this drive to back up via Time Machine my Intel Quad-core. The backup was taking forever so I cancelled it (machine was unusable during backup). I figured using a USB1 hub was not a good thing. (among other problems this machine has shown, being VERY slow.)

This weekend I buy a new hub and reconfigure my setup. I use the Firewire cord instead of usb, thinking it may be faster. I do some disk utility to check that all is well. Now the Seagate drive will mount to the desktop, I can copy from it, but is non-writeable. Selecting the drive and doing apple-i on it says it is writeable, by me, I have the permissions... disk utility says it is writeable, but trying to copy files to it I get the Circle with a slash through it.

What did I do? Should I just use Disk Utility to erase and reconfigure the Seagate? It was supposed to work out of the box.

Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2013, 12:44 PM

Maybe its just a hangover from the early days but I always re-partition / format any drive I get. Other than that I think it will take command line voodoo to get it working.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2013, 01:01 PM

Thats weird. Check the format on the drive in Disk Utility. FWIW Firewire is always better than USB unless you have USB 3 (and the drive supports it too). USB 1.1 is going to take weeks to run a TM backup.

Is the tickbox to ignore permissions ticked?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Thats weird. Check the format on the drive in Disk Utility. FWIW Firewire is always better than USB unless you have USB 3 (and the drive supports it too). USB 1.1 is going to take weeks to run a TM backup.

Is the tickbox to ignore permissions ticked?
I'm pretty sure that unticking it makes the drive unusable for Time Machine.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2013, 05:24 PM

This really isn't going to help you now, but my experience indicates that the reliability of the electronics built into WD and Seagate boxes is questionable. The drives themselves may be good, but the FireWire/USB interfaces just aren't, IMHO. My (sometimes painful) experience tells me that the most reliable external HD setup comes from buying a bare drive and installing it into a quality enclosure. Currently, I'm using OWC enclosures because they have been very reliable over the years.. You may spend a few dollars more this way, but you will get quality Oxford interfaces and good customer service if you do have a problem. My $0.02.

Frank

Feb 25, 2013, 07:49 PM

Plugged into the old g5 via USB and I can now copy files to it. :/

Intel now won't boot. Fubar'ed. I guess it's target disk mode time.

Feb 27, 2013, 10:45 AM

Now it works via usb on the intel. Something wrong with FW cable? Intel still sad, but will boot slowly. backing up manually as error -36 abound. yes I know I'm f*cked.

This thread is now about documenting my frustration levels. Gah!

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2013, 06:04 PM

Why not reformat it and see whether that fixes things?

Mar 4, 2013, 10:22 AM

I reformatted and it would mount via firewire again. However, that was while booted with an external rescue disk. DiskWarrior and Carbon Copy Cloner are awesome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules