Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Consumer (read: Ink friendly) Printer reco sought

Consumer (read: Ink friendly) Printer reco sought
Jul 22, 2013, 03:04 PM

We've currently got a canon pixma M560 wireless all in one printer that's a bear, i'm looking to replace it. The two things that drive me nuts are:
1) it's a color printer, and if ANY ink tank runs out, the printer won't print. 99% of the time i just need black
2) we use it wirelessly, and it constantly drops the wireless connection, requiring a restart of the printer to re-establish.

I'd like an all in one - but it's not a requirement. Color is nice, but if it's only used 1% of the time, a black only printer is more than acceptable. Any recos on printers that are wireless and don't stop printing in black if the red runs out?

Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2013, 03:36 PM

If you print black 99% of the time, why not get a laser printer ?

Stupid ink problems (expensive cartidges, dried up, clogged nozzles, ...) turned me away many years ago.

-t

Jul 23, 2013, 03:53 AM

Get a laser printer. Even a step above the cheapest kind will be much better for mostly bw printing than what you have now. Many of them have built-in ethernet or even WLAN which is a big, big plus. What are your needs (pages per month, etc.) and what's your budget?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Jul 23, 2013, 10:57 AM

That's great - thanks. Completely open to laser. Have ye positive experiences with consumer friendly models you'd recommend? Low usage (< 30 pages/month), wireless is a must (multiple computers at home) - all in one nice but certainly not necessary. Budget - eh, lets say < $200? My perception with laser is that the refills can be very, very expensive - but that's perception, not based on fact...

Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2013, 03:37 PM

I'd look at Brother All-In-One laser printers.

I have two and I'm quite happy with it. One of them is Wireless, and I have not had a single issue with it.
Print quality is ok with OEM toners, not quite the same quality as a prograde HP Laserjet, but good enough for home use.

Have a look at this model:
Brother DCP-7065DN Monochrome Laser Multifunction Copier

If you're not in a rush, look an Slickdeals for best prices. Every few weeks, they show some great deals for Brother printers.
http://slickdeals.net

-t

Jul 24, 2013, 03:22 AM

Apart from Brother, I definitely recommend you have a look at Kyocera laser printers. Their toner is cheaper, because unlike with almost all other (cheaper) printers from other manufacturers, you don't need to change the photosensitive drum each time you change the toner. A third brand I can recommend is Oki.

Regarding refills: the price of toner-per-page compared to ink-per-page of laser printers is usually much lower. My parents' Kyocera printer's toner cartridges last 8,000~9,000 pages (it's a mid-range model). The cartridges of cheaper laser printers are smaller, but they should still last ~2,000+ pages. That means if you only print ~30 pages/month you'll need to change cartridges after 4~5 years. If you don't print too much, laser printers can easily last 10 years, keep that in mind!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Aug 7, 2013, 09:26 AM

Thanks gents - made the switch to a wireless laser black/white multifunction - appreciate the input!

Forum Links
Forum Rules