Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Color laser printer takes a moment to accept command - why?

Color laser printer takes a moment to accept command - why?
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2013, 06:56 AM

Hello,

my parents bought their first color laser printer a while ago - the HP LaserJet Pro 200 color m251nw. They say, when you send a job to the printer, it always takes a while until it prints, even if the print is only black and white (while the original might be both, color of b/w). Why is that? It's a printer small firms use, too, I thought; so?

I looked through the settings for a while and tried to print stuff at random. I thought it was okay and I would say it may be part of the energy saver settings or so - so when you print more often during the day, it would be unreasonable to switch off, but when you only print once or twice a day, even if the job could be larger, it would make sense to switch off, hmm?

Any other ideas? I did download the latest drivers, I upgraded the firmware, I thought about using USB instead of Ethernet (it says it's only 100Mbit/s Ethernet)...
Thanks, Pete

Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2013, 07:02 AM

Laser printers aren't magic.

For one, a print job at 300 dpi or higher is still data that needs to be sent. I assume that now that PostScript is no longer widely used, this data is generated for each pixel and sent over to the printer. That's a lot of dots.

For another, the computer in the laser printer needs to decode that data and figure out how to actually run the print engine.

Also, laser printers work by spreading ink powder on paper and then burning that in using a heating element. That takes time to warm up.

Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2013, 04:49 PM

Hmm... Now, what if an oder b/w printer just felt faster?

Aug 21, 2013, 09:30 AM

Perhaps it was? Black & white laser printers often have quicker warm-up time (they only have to worry about one color) and they have to process less data. Usually the network also introduces an extra delay, but that is more than made up for by the convenience of not having to run cables everywhere.

Another thing: do you use printer sharing or do you print directly to the printer? In my experience, putting yet another computer in the middle introduces more delays.

If I were you, I'd find out what printer language is used (Postscript, PCL or something else). According to the web, your dad's printer supports Postscript, but knowing HP's drivers, it's not certain that this is what is actually used.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules