Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > Sony TRV11 miniDV $200

Sony TRV11 miniDV $200
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2006, 08:11 PM

5 year old Sony DCR-TRV11 miniDV camcorder with an additional battery. I upgraded to a newer Sony last year. This miniDV was in the middle of Sony's consumer line featuring a Carl Zeis lens and retailed for $1399 (I paid about $1100). It has a very large 3.5" screen, 1/4" CCD, "night shot", 10x optical zoom (100x digital), 1152 x 864 still with a Sony memory stick, analog pass-through (for converting analog A/V signals to digital), 16:9 "widemode", etc. It still shoots incredible video. The only problem I ever had was a moisture error when taking the camera from an air conditioned room to the outdoors once in Florida last year. My friend's Hi8 Sony also did the same thing, but feel I should mention it. I've shot video since and never had any problems.

I also have an older Sony Hi8 which has been sitting in a box for 5 years with an occasional use. Once I have all my 8mm video converted to miniDV I'll be ready to post it as well. email for photos or with questions.

Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 01:58 AM

Please post a few pics, especially of the ports. Does it have a microphone port? Why are you selling it?

Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2006, 10:55 AM

Yes it does have a Mic port plus hot shoe, headphones, Firewire, digital I/O, AV in/out to RCA and S-Video. Once for a plane trip I used the A/V input to record some TV shows on to a DV tape then plugged in headphones and watched the shows on the plane! (pre video iPod days)

I buy a lot of stuff. I upgraded to the Sony HC90 to get a 16:9 native and slightly smaller camcorder -- plus the moister thing freaked me out (like I said, I think any camcorder would have done the same since my friend's did, but I'd hate some to mess up someone's beach video on my account!).

The TRV11 has a 16:9 mode but it not a true "wide" mode. If I understand correctly, the older camcorders (and many current) in "wide" mode simply add black bars to the frame which use up pixels. Native camcorders focus the pixels only on the image. I tested my 2 camcorders. The video looked the same in 4:3 (not really what you want to find after spending $1000) but did look better on the newer one in 16:9. What I miss on the TRV11 is the ease to use in manually, the 3.5"screen, MUCH larger view finder.

Its still a great DV camcorder by today's standards and still smaller than some in Sony's line up. I just want to get rid of it is all. I'll have to shoot some photos and post them.

I should mention too, I have an extra Sony lithium battery as well.

You can download the manual here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...l?mdl=DCRTRV11

Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 02:58 PM

Can you do something for me? Shoot a bit of video with your TRV11 in the 16:9 mode. Open iMovie and make a new project in DV widescreen mode. Import the video. Take a screenshot of iMovie and upload it here. I want to see if it does what I hope it does.

Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2006, 03:42 PM

Here you go. Taken a few minutes ago in 16:9 mode. iMovie set to Auto Pillarboxing & Letterboxing off. Image looks "tall" in this grab.

Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 07:15 PM

No I mean make it a Widescreen DV iMovie project. Like this

Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2006, 10:53 PM

Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2006, 12:43 AM

Is there any possible way to shoot widescreen video with your camera and have iMovie recognize it properly and show up correctly in widescreen format?

By the way I am seriously considering buying this from you. I'd like a few pics of the camera and everything that would come with it. Any accessories?

I kindly ask for dibs on this camera for the next few days.

Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 01:21 AM

PM sent.

Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 11:55 PM

Third time seemed to work. I opened a new iMovie, specifying "widescreen" and imported the video. It seems to recognize it as 16:9 as you can see in the grab. I also had some 4:3 video on the tape so I checked that as well. In the same iMovie document it "stretched" the picture to fill the frame.... perhaps this camera is 16:9 native. Oh well. Who wants it?

Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2006, 02:23 PM

I'll take it. Can you PM me your name and phone number, I'd like to speak to you over the phone before buying.

Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2006, 02:28 PM

PM sent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules