Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > Wanted: Word (or Office) for Mac

Wanted: Word (or Office) for Mac
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2007, 07:35 PM

I've got a low income family to whom I'm donating a g3 iBook, but they could really use a legit copy of word (or office). They've got kids in school (who will be the primary users of the computer), so a student/teacher edition would be just fine. Anyone have anything or any sources (other than ebay and craigslist)? The school has a special fund for assistance with this type of thing, but can't really afford more than $40 or $50. Ideally, I'd love to trade anything in my famous thread so that the cash can be used for another student's need.

Thanks for any help or leads!

Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2007, 09:00 PM

The Student Discount on Office for me is a whopping $6!

Sorry.

Of course I can buy Adobe CS Premium Suite for $380- and $800 discount.

Boooo to Microsoft... Yay! Adobe!

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2007, 09:39 PM

Why not install NeoOffice and set it to automatically save in word etc format? That's free.

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Why not install NeoOffice and set it to automatically save in word etc format? That's free.
That's a great idea. I've never used it - how different is it? I'm thinking about the kids using it at school - will it freak out their teacher if they need help with it?? (yeah, I'm old and paranoid ).

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2007, 06:55 PM

Anyone who is familiar with Office will be able to navigate it easily. A few quirks, but unless you script, or want to embed excel sheets inside word documents etc, you'll be fine. I can't say whether their teacher will have seen it, but it looks almost exactly the same, and can read / write the same files (mostly).

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Anyone who is familiar with Office will be able to navigate it easily. A few quirks, but unless you script, or want to embed excel sheets inside word documents etc, you'll be fine. I can't say whether their teacher will have seen it, but it looks almost exactly the same, and can read / write the same files (mostly).
Sweet. Again, many thanks for the steer in that direction!

Forum Links
Forum Rules