Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: MacBook

FS: MacBook (Page 2)
Thread Tools
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2008, 02:10 AM
 
Bottom line: don't buy anything on eBay that's worth more than $ 50.

Just don't do it.

Odds that you're getting a real deal: slim to none.
Opportunities to get scammed: countless.
Chances to get ripped of: 150%

-t
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Missouri
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2008, 02:20 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Bottom line: don't buy anything on eBay that's worth more than $ 50.

Just don't do it.

Odds that you're getting a real deal: slim to none.
Opportunities to get scammed: countless.
Chances to get ripped of: 150%

-t
Huh?
I don't think Ebay was ever mentioned in this thread?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2008, 02:49 AM
 
Originally Posted by audvidsvs View Post
Huh?
I don't think Ebay was ever mentioned in this thread?
Sorry, my bad. In this case, it was indeed not eBay.

But even worse: an unknwon, untrustworthy seller that just registered to sell stuff.

-t
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2008, 01:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by audvidsvs View Post
Not to hijack this thread any more but I am amazed anyone would agree to a deal like this without tallking on the phone first and getting verifiable contact info before sending the money.
I think the buyer mentioned that both were not something the seller would provide.

Anyway I hope something good will surprise us all here and I will be even more careful and skeptical from now on as I seem to grow more that way by the day.

Ed
I couldn't agree more. If I am buying anything over $20 online I request that the seller take tagged pictures (pictures with the item next to a piece of paper that has the seller's name, email address, and date on it). If they cannot provide something that simple I'm simply not interested in the item. If it is an expensive item I usually do as much research as I can on the person, ask for a phone number and then do reverse look ups with it to make sure it's legitimate.
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Missouri
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2008, 01:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
I couldn't agree more. If I am buying anything over $20 online I request that the seller take tagged pictures (pictures with the item next to a piece of paper that has the seller's name, email address, and date on it). If they cannot provide something that simple I'm simply not interested in the item. If it is an expensive item I usually do as much research as I can on the person, ask for a phone number and then do reverse look ups with it to make sure it's legitimate.
Hi
I am fairly sure I got my first Mac from you!
PB Ti 400

Ring a bell?

Ed
     
Senior User
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2008, 11:56 PM
 
it's not that hard to buy online, regardless of price. if it seems too good to be true, it likely is. if he can't take pictures or cooperate with yr request, leave it alone.

ask lots of questions, if they don't respond nicely and promptly, don't do business with them. if they don't have time to answer questions, they don't have time to send our yr item or respond to request in a timely manner. waiting 24 hours to get an answer to a question is too long.

if they are new to this forum, you need a special arrangement to complete the deal or don't do it at all.

people who have been here for years posting regularly are not likely to ruin that reputation on one sell.

if any seller/buyer ever makes threats, such as "reporting you" when you clearly haven't done anything, run. this person is trying to intimidate you.

don't act too quickly on a sell. if it's a good deal and you feel the need to act quickly, ask yrself if you can do without the amount of money yr spending on this good deal. good deal's are scams at least half the time.

don't ever let someone talk you into a sell, by saying they have others waiting. i've yet to buy something where the person didn't have others waiting to buy it. especially if it's a good price.

ask detailed questions... why are you selling? even if the has listed problems, ask if there are anymore known problems? how long have you owned the item? original packaging? software discs included? warranty left?

i've done many deals here and i've never been scammed here nor on ebay. so it's not par for the course.

i'm sure many saw this as a possible scam from the start, it certainly seemed suspicious to me.

$475 shipped with beautiful display, then he sells it for $350 with a flickering screen? his already low price has dropped $125 because the beautiful screen is now flickering "again". this is the time to walk away.

these scammers know you can't resist a good price.
as ever,
sonny
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2008, 09:35 AM
 
So here is the latest and greatest with the computer, as you can guess it still has yet to arrive and have made contact with the seller multiple times with not much hope but did get an email that when our dispute is over which is in like 2 days he is refunding my money. So i guess we will wait and hope that this happens.
Thanks for all the input Brian
     
Senior User
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2008, 07:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Returnofthemac View Post
So here is the latest and greatest with the computer, as you can guess it still has yet to arrive and have made contact with the seller multiple times with not much hope but did get an email that when our dispute is over which is in like 2 days he is refunding my money. So i guess we will wait and hope that this happens.
Thanks for all the input Brian
nice to hear, but it also sounds like he never sent the item.
as ever,
sonny
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2008, 01:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by Returnofthemac View Post
So here is the latest and greatest with the computer, as you can guess it still has yet to arrive and have made contact with the seller multiple times with not much hope but did get an email that when our dispute is over which is in like 2 days he is refunding my money. So i guess we will wait and hope that this happens.
Thanks for all the input Brian
Forget it. It will never happen. Get ready to file a fraud complaint with Paypal.

-t
     
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2008, 12:37 PM
 
If you're able to do anything with Paypal, I'd also do it NOW.

I've attempted to contact the seller with no response. I believe he's stalling. If Paypal can help you get any of your money back. Do it. Do it now.
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2008, 04:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by audvidsvs View Post
Hi
I am fairly sure I got my first Mac from you!
PB Ti 400

Ring a bell?

Ed
I don't believe that was me, never owned a G4 powerbook.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2