Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Is banning users helpful?

Is banning users helpful? (Page 4)
Baninated
Jan 8, 2008, 04:11 PM

Yeah, I realize he was a PITA, but he was also a pretty regular personality here. He is PART of what made this place the way it is. So is Cash, and RR. They are all pretty cool guys when they aren't baiting each other and bickering. I really think part of the problem is the banning. Would Kevin have gotten so pissed if he had to do some 'photoshop work' instead of being banned for a month? Would Cash have gotten so much flack if he wasn't being banned constantly? Would RR start behaving if the mods made him do services for his constant baiting?

Seriously consider the ideas I brought up in the other thread. It would allow other users back, the ones who amuse a lot of us, while providing an environment that promotes stability, entertainment, and generates revenue for MacNN.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 04:13 PM

So who is this mystery poster from the past?

Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 04:17 PM

*cough* ca$h *cough*

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 04:18 PM

Cash usually doesn't pretend to not be cash. Also if this cash, this is a seriously decaffeinated one.

Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by vintage View Post
Yeah, I realize he was a PITA, but he was also a pretty regular personality here. He is PART of what made this place the way it is. So is Cash, and RR. They are all pretty cool guys when they aren't baiting each other and bickering. I really think part of the problem is the banning. Would Kevin have gotten so pissed if he had to do some 'photoshop work' instead of being banned for a month? Would Cash have gotten so much flack if he wasn't being banned constantly? Would RR start behaving if the mods made him do services for his constant baiting?

Seriously consider the ideas I brought up in the other thread. It would allow other users back, the ones who amuse a lot of us, while providing an environment that promotes stability, entertainment, and generates revenue for MacNN.

Well, my personal opinion is that none of these characters had histories of being reasonable in most ways, so no, I don't think it would have worked out for the better.

That's my opinion though, and I realize full well that it's extremely biased (in the case of Kevin and RR - I generally got along alright with Cash).

Baninated
Jan 8, 2008, 04:37 PM

A mystery poster? I like it. It gives me some mystique, an enigma of sorts. I think I'll be staying in the shadows until a later date, if ever. I got along okay with Kevin when he wasn't being religious, and Cash when he wasn't attacking people who disagreed with him. Both of them were pretty decent people, and kept the place entertaining. One needs to look no further than this thread to realize that it'd be better if both of them were around again:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...istory-thread/

Look at the first few pages of this topic also. Lots of people were amused by both of them, despite some of their more annoying qualities. I really think that banning them 'forever and ever' is NOT the way to fix anything.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 04:38 PM

Oh geez. What are you afraid of?

Baninated
Jan 8, 2008, 05:02 PM

Clowns. The inquisition. The fact that ignorant, uneducated people are breeding at an incredible rate compared to intelligent, rational people. Our economy. Police having bad days. Super volcanoes. Creatures that seem to pop into our reality and vanish a few seconds later.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 05:06 PM

That's a wonderful attempt at a dodge. MacosNerd may be right after all. Got to be suspicious of someone afraid of revealing an old internet identity.

Baninated
Jan 8, 2008, 05:11 PM

Let's just say I've had my identity stolen online, and that affected my personal life as well. I don't want to go into it.

Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 05:51 PM

Who was that?

Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Who was that?
Er, I'd guess Kevin or Cash, seeing as how he was "banninated," and not just "banned."

Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 06:01 PM

Well, I can guess too, but that wasn't the point.

Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 06:02 PM

Abe?

Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Abe?
Um, no. Abe's been posting here lately. Haven't you noticed his annoying as frack "meek as a lamb" crap?

Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Um, no. Abe's been posting here lately. Haven't you noticed his annoying as frack "meek as a lamb" crap?
Yeah, but Abe has ton of nicks he uses... I think that many posters in here could secretly be Abe.

I don't even understand the lamb thing, unless it's just a generic insult. Then again, I don't understand a lot of stuff Abe writes, which is why I'm such a big fan of his work!

Administrator
Jan 8, 2008, 07:31 PM

It was Ca$h68.

Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 08:34 PM

Damn I always get everything wrong! My head is so messed up, I think everybody is Abe, but the people that I don't think are Abe are really Abe!

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 8, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by vintage View Post
Would Kevin have gotten so pissed if he had to do some 'photoshop work' instead of being banned for a month?
Poster is guilty.

Would RR start behaving if the mods made him do services for his constant baiting?
Poster is guilty.

Would Cash have gotten so much flack if he wasn't being banned constantly?
Poster is innocent???!?!

Besides this, none of the obvious signs were there.

Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2008, 12:13 AM

Quite entertaining...

-t

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It was Ca$h68.
Well, well, a new chapter has begun. From now on:
humans in the matrix : possible agents as newbies : possible cash

Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 12:03 PM

The sauce thickens....

Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2008, 01:14 PM

That sauce is a spicy meatball!

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
One of the other things to realize is that there are a lot of people who change their nicks without getting banned (i.e. gorickey, Cody Dawg, Dakar, and others).
I only change names as Rickey moves from team to team....so not very often anymore.

Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
I only change names as Rickey moves from team to team....so not very often anymore.

You're gonna have to change your location now, unfortunately, as Rickey is no longer on the 1st base line at Shea....

Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2008, 03:34 PM

I'm the original and classic besson3c. Just like a perfect recipe or something we have grown to love, my name is dependable and reliable. I don't change it just because some other cooler name comes around and entices me sexually.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
You're gonna have to change your location now, unfortunately, as Rickey is no longer on the 1st base line at Shea....
Good point, any suggestions?

Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Good point, any suggestions?
something with the hall would be my vote. unless for some odd reason; he plays again in 2008

he should be a first year winner. which of course, means morris won't get in again. i see another year of only 1 player voted in by the press.

Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 08:37 PM

He'll definitely get in the first year he's eligible. The only real story will which five or six idiots will decide not to vote for him.

And we know there are idiots who vote in this: Bobby Bonilla got two votes last year, and this year Chuck Knoblauch got a vote.

Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 08:45 PM

i'd say all but Rickey will get 0 votes for the new class. soon as morris drops off the writers ballots; the members committee will get him in. not just because i'm a tiger fan, but of all the returning and the new, he is the only one left that deserves to get in right now. (okay, Jim Rice too).

sorry; back on topic. i'll start a HOF thread later.

Banned
Jan 18, 2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
He followed Rob to another board I am a member of with the express goal of harassing and annoying him.
This is a lie. I have posted pictures of the posts from that board here showing this to be a false statement.
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I guess that's the side of RR I never knew.
As much as we disagree about topics, I am glad you expressed this. Your honesty is why you have always had my respect.

Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
This is a lie. I have posted pictures of the posts from that board here showing this to be a false statement.
Lie? I got that impression too from comments you made when you joined. What "pictures" are you referring to?

Banned
Jan 18, 2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Lie? I got that impression too from comments you made when you joined.
You mean the post where I said "If rob is a member here..."? The post that stated that I didn't even know he was a member there?

So, how can the statement that I "followed rob" to the site be true if I didn't know he was a member?

Obviously to state otherwise would be a lie.
What "pictures" are you referring to?
The ones I posted last time this lie was brought up.

Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2008, 12:39 PM

Whatever the truth may be, I just hope you are merely misunderstanding the meaning of the word "lie".

Banned
Jan 18, 2008, 12:41 PM

Here's the thread: The Lifeboat :: View topic - Railroad this!
In reply to timo's post saying:
Hmmmm, I'm not so sure about Kilbey. His love affair with Rob was quite is spectacular and I don't know if we need more of that here.
I replied with:
And if Rob hangs out here a lot, then I am certain I want to be a member just to get him fired up.
I did not follow him, but I will admit I was dissappointed that he was allowed to be a member and I was not 'approved" yet.

However, note the part later where I say "Wellll.... alright. I still want in." after I am informed that he is banned from there. I was joking about the fact the although he wasn't there I still wanted to be a member.

I was invited to join by someone from here and thought the place might be cool. Unfortunately it was the exact opposite of cool.

Banned
Jan 18, 2008, 12:44 PM

Whatever the truth may be, I just hope you are merely misunderstanding the meaning of the word "lie".
Distortions and untruths are "lies". Statement of an event that did not occur is a "lie".

Mastrap posted a lie and I wanted to correct it because it appeared that sek929 believed him. I don't care what Mastrap thinks, but I do respect sek929 and care what he thinks.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 12:46 PM

...and we're right back in the thick of things.

Banned
Jan 18, 2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
...and we're right back in the thick of things.
Isn't is funny how the people who claim to have left the 'NN cause it sucks so badly are the ones that make it suck so badly?

and when I say "funny" I mean "sicking and deplorable."

It's you I missed most Dakar the Fourth!

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 12:59 PM

I never claimed to have left. Oh wait, you're talking about someone else...

Banned
Jan 18, 2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I never claimed to have left. Oh wait, you're talking about someone else...
I don't want you to leave!!!

I left, but not because it sucks so badly. And I never claimed to leave because of it sucking so badly. I left for unmentionably reasons.

Jan 18, 2008, 02:13 PM

Please continue your discussion in private, this thread is on whether banning forum members is a helpful practice.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Banned
Jan 18, 2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Please continue your discussion in private, this thread is on whether banning forum members is a helpful practice.
Wouldn't this have been better sent as a PM?

Why didn't you make the same instruction to the two people discussing baseball or abe?

Jan 18, 2008, 02:26 PM

Because it's offtopic.
Keep the discussion on topic, please.

Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Wouldn't this have been better sent as a PM?

Why didn't you make the same instruction to the two people discussing baseball or abe?
Really, I mean a quick parousal of the 4 pages shows many (including me) members have taken this thread off topic. Only now one person is being chastised for doing we've been doing for many of the pages here?

Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 04:51 PM

I was starting to enjoy the reduction of tension, drama, and confrontation on this board, but alas...

Really guys, this is really not important stuff - certainly not worth getting into a big argument over (which I'm sure is where this is headed).

If only some people could keep a healthy perspective as to how unimportant a forum like this in life's grand scheme, I think we would all be better off.

Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 05:03 PM

So why did you feel the need to chime in then, if its not important.

RR raise a valid point, I agreed. After seeing 4 pages of posts many of which are off topic, only now that RR posted something that Oreo tells RR to take that stuff offline.

You're right, about it being a forum, but that doesn't mean by disagreeing means we don't have a healthy perspective.

Edit: the only tension here it seems is what you bring to the table. So far this is your typical 'NN thread.

Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2008, 06:08 PM

besson3c, stop bringing venison to the table!

Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Oh deer, I think you're getting to the meat of the problem

Banned
Jan 18, 2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Dude, I [heart[ venison.

Jan 18, 2008, 06:37 PM

I wasn't telling RR, it was directed towards all participants.

Forum Links
Forum Rules