Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes vs. Apple Records?

iTunes vs. Apple Records?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2001, 03:32 PM

Back in the early days of Apple, Apple Records (the Beatles label)sued Apple Computers for trademark infringement. The case was resolved when Apple Computers stated that they would not be envolved in music at all. Skip ahead to the release of the IIgs which boasted of a MIDI sound chip. This got Apple Record feathers ruffeled and there was another lawsuit also settled out of court. Does anyone know if iTunes is in violation of any agrements Apple computer has with the record company?

P7
Jan 10, 2001, 03:42 PM

Ooh, good point. Actually, I'm hoping the next in the "i" series will be a music /creation/ suite. Nothing fancy, but maybe a 16-track sequencer, some sampling capabilities, basic drum machines and synthesizer, and MIDI support. If only to get the ball rolling on more professional level stuff, and get people to think of Apple the way they do now with iMovie.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2001, 05:00 PM

Music creation suit? Well, have you looked at:
http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/main.html

I haven't had time to try it but it's free and itlooks pretty nice.

P7
Jan 10, 2001, 05:23 PM

Oh, yeah, I know there's stuff out there. I'm just thinking more for company support and public impression. But thanks!

Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 06:45 PM

Greetings,
I'm not a legal expert and I've never read any of the case documents pertaining to this, but my guess is that they may wind up again in court. They (Apple Computer) were supposed to stay out of the music business. Here's a link to an older news story about a privious suit against Apple Computer. http://cbs.marketwatch.com/archive/1...yhoo&dist=yhoo
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2001, 07:25 PM

i doubt much will come of it since itunes is a music player/burning application while apple records sells music itself. i couldn't see how anyone would confuse the two products or companies.

-r.

doppler  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 12:03 AM

The MIDI chip in a IIgs is alot further from a record companies mind than software which allows mp3's to be burnt onto a CD. This is the biggest thing the record companies want to stop!! I hope Apple Records doesn't go balistic and stifle a promising Apple product.

Forum Links
Forum Rules