Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > I wanted Network Setup

I wanted Network Setup
Lunchbox
Jan 10, 2001, 09:36 PM

A long time ago AppleInisder posted some screen shots of 9.1 beta and there was this thing called Network Setup:

Man that looked cool- I think it was like the chooser, appletalk, ethernet, ppp, and more all rolled into one. It was what I was looking forward to most in 9.1!

[This message has been edited by Lunchbox (edited 01-10-2001).]

eVo
Jan 10, 2001, 10:25 PM

You're not alone!!! Network Setup was probably the most anticipated feature in OS 9.1 for me, and it's nowhere to be seen. I really was looking forward to get rid of this bloated, old Remote Access/TCP-IP/Modem control panel mess.

You what's wierd though, there is a Network Setup Extension in the Extensions Folder. WTF is that doing there?

eVo
Jan 10, 2001, 10:26 PM

You're not alone!!! Network Setup was probably the most anticipated feature in OS 9.1 for me, and it's nowhere to be seen. I really was looking forward to get rid of this bloated, old Remote Access/TCP-IP/Modem control panel mess.

You what's wierd though, there is a Network Setup Extension in the Extensions Folder. WTF is that doing there?

Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 11:58 PM

actually, "network setup extension" and "network setup scripting" have been in the extensions folder since OS 8 or 8.1.

open script editor, and look at the dictionary for "network setup scripting" in the "Scripting Additions" folder in your Extensions. you can set _all_ your network settings by calling to its database [a la netinfo/niutil].

i'm sure the location manager uses it. i could never quite get it to work [not too much documentation on it] - but now that i've tackled netinfo and niutil i'll bet i could crack it...

i've been so on OS X, i forgot that they tried to stitch all those control panels together in yet another alpha release...

Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Jan 11, 2001, 03:10 AM

Lunchbox.......

Your'e so right, I've only looked briefly into the "new" items and I was looking for that network set-up panel as-well.

It did look pretty cool, I wonder what heppenned to it? Unless it's going to wind-up in the next version of AppleShare IP. I did notice that under the servers section on Apple's website there's supposed to be a ASIP 6.3.3, but no update to be found yet.

Is this feature of a possible "OS 9.5" maybe?????????? Hmmmmmmmmm

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeM32 (edited 01-11-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules