Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS9.1 and language kits

MacOS9.1 and language kits
Jan 10, 2001, 09:59 PM

Hi,

Seems like if I have some language kits installed on my MacOS 9.0.4 (International English), I will need the full MacOS9.1 CD to upgrade. This means I have to pay to upgrade my MacOS.

Why can't Apple make the language kits available for download also ..., otherwise Apple is just punishing those users with language kits and slows down adoption of OS X for those users (since OS X can't work with 9.0.4 seamlessly).

- JT -

Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2001, 10:37 AM

Ask Apple. The members here are not setting the policies.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2001, 10:46 AM

I also wish Apple would make the Language Kits available for download. Being in the Philippines, acquiring the Upgrade CD is not easy and not cheap, even with the discounted price.

There have been reports about the Language kits of Mac OS 9.0.x working with Mac OS 9.1. However, since Apple explicitly says that the Language Kits are incompatible, there might arise some problems in the future.

sigh!

maybe
Jan 11, 2001, 02:38 PM

Just an FYI, you also get the Language Kit error if you installed any of the Language Kit stuff from the OS 9 CD. Lots of users did just for the heck of it, I did too. Of course this means 9.1 won't install without the CD. The easy answer is to just REMOVE the Language Kits with the custom remove option in the standard OS 9 install CD. Just uninstall, restart and then update to 9.1.

Jan 11, 2001, 04:57 PM

Just boot with your old MacOS disk

and do a Custom Removal of the Language Kits

before trying to Install 9.1

(that's if you don't really need the Language Kits)

claudej

TylerR
Jan 11, 2001, 05:03 PM

Wow. Unistall the language kit. What a waste of time. Just go into Conflict Catcher or Extension Manager, list by package, and disable all of the Language Kit 1.0 extensions. The 9.1 upgrade works fine then. I just have to check what happens when I re-activate the language kits... Oh, and iCab seems to properly display Japanese web sites with the language kits off. I'll have to see what happens with that. BTW, I have the Japanese and Korean Language kits installed.

reader1457
Jan 11, 2001, 09:24 PM

I tried to install 9.1 on a PBG3 lombard with 9.0.4 Int-Engl. Not shure if it was the language kit stuff, but oboy did I get a hard crash. Had to return to 9.0.4. Havent the time to dance with bugs. iTune is a nice working app though Real does not thrive with it. It seems Real wants to be the default or else... Apple is treating people with any global inclination worse than the US-crowd. That does not help Apple to win the internet society members. It is the strategy of a fruitcake. I will stay with Mac as long as its a faster and more stable set and furnishes decent support for truly internetional work. But Apple is pushing the wrong side of the envelope when it comes to localization/language.

Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2001, 10:53 AM

It works!! Here how I did it and perhaps many have done so too.

Install OS 9.1 update without a trace of the langauge kits. If you have installed it already, just either turn off the kit extentions or uninstall them from the OS9.0.x CD ( I used 9.0.2 cd)

After the update have been applied, reinstall the langauge kits you want from the OS9.0.x CD. And everything was peachy from then on after a reboot. I installed Chinese, and can read and type chinese characters.

I wonder if the other langauge kits work and don't neccessarily have to use 0S 9.1 CD?
Past Love:
Apple II, Mac SI, PB Duo, Pismo, iMac G4, Digital Audio
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 17" 10.5.2

Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 12:19 PM

I posted below but here it is again. I just removed the main extensions and control panels relating to the language kit (Chinese), installed 9.1 on top of 9.04 and then put the old extensions and panels back. Works perfectly. No problems after 24 hours.....don't get it. Why would Apple do this? What is it we DON"T know? So far so good though

: )

TylerR
Jan 12, 2001, 04:21 PM

I'm finding the same as anly - my reading and writing of Japanese and Korean from the 1.0 Language Kits seems unaffected in OS 9.1. I'm not sure what's up with them not allowing it -- a time bomb perhaps? Oh, well, the language kits will be out on the Net somewhere once the OS9.1 CDs start shipping...

Tyler.

TylerR
Jan 14, 2001, 07:09 AM

Just a quick update on my language kits. Since I haven't gotten around to learning Korean yet (one language at a time!), I removed it entirely (for reasons that I'll explain in a second). That leaves my Japanese kit. So, I downloaded the Japanese OS 9.1 upgrade, went through a major pain of finding the files I have on my computer in the tomes, and pulled the fonts and 13 other files I need to get Japanese inputs to work. I'm assuming the files I pulled out will work perfectly if the person only disabled the Japanese extensions before upgrading to 9.1. Strange things like the Inline Support extension being updated, but nothing else. Oh, well.

If anyone wants the updated Japanese files, I'm willing to post them on my iDisk. Just email me at tech@quantumzen.com.

Tyler.

TylerR
Jan 14, 2001, 07:11 AM

Opps. Realised I forgot to say why I didn't keep Korean. Simple. There's no localized Korean OS 9.1 update yet!

Tyler.

TylerR
Jan 15, 2001, 02:24 PM

Okay, none of the Mac news pages want to list this, but I still think people should know. I have taken out all of the files from the Japanese OS 9.1 upgrade tomes that update the files installed by the Language Kit in my North American English 9.0.4 system. These are all files in the System folder and come out to a 17.1 MB archive on my iDisk. My iDisk ID is zeusr, the URL for the web file sharing page is http://homepage.mac.com/zeusr/FileSharing.html and I don't take any responsibility for anything that happens from using these! I just wanted to save other people some time and have an update Japanese Language kit. You can reach me at zeusr@mac.com.

Tyler.

Forum Links
Forum Rules