Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Contextual Menu option in 9.1??

Contextual Menu option in 9.1??
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2001, 11:43 PM
I was just reading on ResExcellence http://www.ResExcellence.com/hack_ht...01-10-01.shtml
an article that referred to a new feature in the Contextual Menu option that allows you to view a Package's contents under Mac OS 9.1. It has a screen shot showing this and a "Move To Trash" item.

I did a clean install of the Multi-part download of 9.1 and those two features are nowhere to be seen. Am I missing something obvious here? I have all of my Context items enabled. Anyone else have/don't have them?
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2001, 11:48 PM
Move To Trash should be there... dunno about the package thing.
Probly only on those certain files that are like that.
Move To Trash is third from the top when control clicking an item...

Jan 11, 2001, 01:31 PM
The "View a Packages Contents" deals with the new package\bundles of Mac OS X. In Mac OS X Applications and other rich objects are actually directories. The higher levels of the operating system show these as single objects. If you have Mac OS 9.0.4 and Mac OS X on the same machine and you look at the Applications directory in your Mac OS X area in 9.0.4, you'll see a bunch of folders (like "AddressBook.app"). In Mac OS X, you see the regular AddressBook application. All of the resources (from the executable to items that would have traditionally been in the resource fork) are inside the AddressBook.app directory, which should appear as a single object. This is how things have worked on the NeXT since the beginning.

In Mac OS 9.1, AddressBook.app *will* appear as a single object and not as a folder. Using "View package contents" (a feature also in Mac OS X) opens the package up like a Folder. It's only there on certain objects, most of which are likely to reside in your Mac OS X space if you have the public beta. As more Carbon apps are built to run in both environments, getting Mac OS 9 to treat these the same way as Mac OS X does is important.
Forum Links
Forum Rules