Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9.1 and Remote Access AppleScript

OS9.1 and Remote Access AppleScript
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 12:53 AM

For some time I've been using a custom AppleScript that allows me to connect to the Net using the Remote Access scripting commands. I've got the script assigned to one of my iBook's functions keys...

All has been working well until today, when I installed MacOS 9.1 Now when I try to run the script, it continually fails. The culprit seems to be the Remote Access OSAX command "RA status". Everytime the script makes the call, I receive the error: "The Apple Shared Library Manager could not be opened."

Anyone else getting this error? Is anyone familiar with the "Apple Shared Library Manager"--is it a new part of the OS?

Any help would be appreciated.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 05:06 PM

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same message; I 've been reading around and since there are changes to Apple Script and also to ARA well, this might be the cause; hopefully somebody will compile a new script to "disconnect".... I use it a lot...

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 12:39 PM

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I've checked the AppleScript dictionary for the remote access scripting and the commands should still be included... Did someone forget to update the dictionary or did someone forget to include a necessary library in the 9.1 update?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 01:03 PM

The best part of the script I wrote (that now doesn't work) is that once you establish a dial-up connection, it creates a desktop icon representing the PPP connection. To disconnect all you need to do is drag the icon to the trash. I think it's a great tie-in to the Mac experience, plus it's really easy for beginning users to understand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules