Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mouseware + 9.1 = disaster

Mouseware + 9.1 = disaster
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2001, 01:03 AM

I have a Logitech mouse, for my iMac and for my G4 400 MHz, and have been using the Mouseware extensions (v. 1.02) and CP (v. 3.12) on both. When I installed OS 9.1 on my son's iMac I had the strangest conflict symptoms I've ever seen. The iMac would boot, get to the desktop, and then freeze just as the HD icon came on screen but before all the other elements of the desktop (folders, control strip) came up. I could move the cursor, but it could do nothing at all--couldn't get a menu to show, or a folder to open. After fiddling with the extensions for a while, it became clear that it was the Mouseware stuff that was making the mess. I haven't tried Mouseware 3.5 with 9.1 yet--I have it, but it caused problems with 9.04, so it's not installed. I've downloaded USB Overdrive, and that works OK, although it doesn't provide all the functionality of the Mouseware.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2001, 03:11 AM

I'm running OS 9.1 on a B&W G3 500, witha Logitech Marble mouse, with MouseWare 3.5.1, and it's fine. Try the update.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2001, 05:37 AM

Well this is exactly the problem I'm getting (but nothing to do with Mouseware). Desktop freezes on startup, either before the menu bar titles appear, or sometimes after but with 'View' greyed out. The latter seems to be a corrupt desktop file, as cannot restart properly without rebuilding Desktop... I've disabled all sorts of things but no joy yet...

It's been happening a lot since I updated to OS 9.1 - I'm using a Lombard/bronze PBG3/400

Anyone else have a similar problem?

-wulf

Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2001, 09:57 AM

someone else on this forum posted this link http://www.macfixit.com/reports/macos9.1.shtml which confirms the usb mouse problem, so at least you know it's not just you, I wouldn't be surprised if logitech post an update very soon. (if there isn't one already)

lexsears
Jan 11, 2001, 10:45 AM

I too am on a G4 400 and had the problem and have a Logitech mouse tha is working. But I found out that the damned Microsoft Office Manager was causing the freeze up to occur. Once I turned that off...I was fine.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 12:10 PM

I am using G3/400, using Kensington Orbit USB trackball, and have similar problems on startup. After the crash I get the message relating to "system error" and "Kensington startup" . Upon removal of the mouse extension, the computer runs great, but I have lost ability to configure mouse. Anyone tried other versions of the Kensington software "Mouseworks"? I am currently using version 5.41

'ls;dvvaa
Jan 11, 2001, 12:56 PM

Forget the Mouseware...use USB Overdrive. It works a lot better

Rault
Jan 11, 2001, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by wulf:
Well this is exactly the problem I'm getting (but nothing to do with Mouseware). Desktop freezes on startup, either before the menu bar titles appear, or sometimes after but with 'View' greyed out. The latter seems to be a corrupt desktop file, as cannot restart properly without rebuilding Desktop... I've disabled all sorts of things but no joy yet...

It's been happening a lot since I updated to OS 9.1 - I'm using a Lombard/bronze PBG3/400

Anyone else have a similar problem?

-wulf

marshull
Jan 11, 2001, 01:25 PM

My Kensington Optical Pro also took a dump. I upgraded to 9.1 and can not use my mouse playing UT. Guess i'll have to revert to 9.04 cuase i'm not giving up UT.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 01:32 PM

Mouseware is evil! Get rid of it! USB Overdrive works much better and has fewer problems. It also lets you use different settings in each application. I've always had a lot of problems with every version of MouseWare I've tried, so I dumped it long ago.

ErickS
Jan 11, 2001, 02:14 PM

a reader at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/stories/S11117.html#storytop
had a solution. Read the whole page, -- his solution in the game Rune (and UT I think)

"The culprit was the USB Device Extension (v1.4.6), which when removed, allowed everything to return to normal. I donĂt know if this is a new file that was never part of the Apple USB package before, or if I just didnĂt have it previously installed for some reason.
-Jarod Wilson "

Although, I've heard nice things about USB Overdrive as well, I might check into that too...

SeanD516
Jan 11, 2001, 02:53 PM

I had the same problem at startup and I too use Mouseware however I solved the problem by disabiling Microsoft Office Manager.

Sean

Originally posted by yoyo52:
I have a Logitech mouse, for my iMac and for my G4 400 MHz, and have been using the Mouseware extensions (v. 1.02) and CP (v. 3.12) on both. When I installed OS 9.1 on my son's iMac I had the strangest conflict symptoms I've ever seen. The iMac would boot, get to the desktop, and then freeze just as the HD icon came on screen but before all the other elements of the desktop (folders, control strip) came up. I could move the cursor, but it could do nothing at all--couldn't get a menu to show, or a folder to open. After fiddling with the extensions for a while, it became clear that it was the Mouseware stuff that was making the mess. I haven't tried Mouseware 3.5 with 9.1 yet--I have it, but it caused problems with 9.04, so it's not installed. I've downloaded USB Overdrive, and that works OK, although it doesn't provide all the functionality of the Mouseware.

hoytt
Jan 11, 2001, 03:56 PM

If been using MacOS 9.1 on my G3 350 B&W with the latesr version of mouseware and I've had no problems till now, everything's running flawlessly.

P
Jan 11, 2001, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by ErickS:
a reader at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/stories/S11117.html#storytop
had a solution. Read the whole page, -- his solution in the game Rune (and UT I think)

"The culprit was the USB Device Extension (v1.4.6), which when removed, allowed everything to return to normal. I donĂt know if this is a new file that was never part of the Apple USB package before, or if I just didnĂt have it previously installed for some reason.
-Jarod Wilson "

This file is used by the four extra keys on the new, large keyboard. If you have the old, small one, you can safely remove it.

Although, I've heard nice things about USB Overdrive as well, I might check into that too...
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 08:02 PM

I had mousewarre 3.51a and it still will conflict with office manager in mac os 9.1. I am hoping for a mouseware update to solve this problem, until then i am using usboverdrive and it works well.

PS AS for any games and mouseware i dont know i lost all my games during a bad crash installing 9.1 after i took all day to download 9.1. Bad luck for me

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 08:55 AM

I can also confirm that the start-up problem appears in connection of Logitech's MouseWare (3.5.1) with Microsoft's Office Manager (I've got the MOM version for Office 2001). I turned the MOM stuff off (control panel and extension) and am now starting up as usual again...

I've got the MOM installed on other computers that don't have Logitech's MouseWare installed and there MOM is not causing any problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules