Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Pro Keyboard and 9.1

Pro Keyboard and 9.1
theriver
Jan 11, 2001, 12:03 PM

According to the Apple site, with the installation of 9.1, the new keys on the Apple Pro Keyboard are supposed to work (volume, eject, mute). I have a G4 450 (PCI), installed 9.1, but still get the annoying "do you want me to look for the USB drivers" message everytime I restart the computer...and the keys don't work.

Anyone have any success getting it to work?

Judson Owens

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2001, 12:44 PM

Yes I got it to work after installing 9.1. At first when i bought the Keyboard I noticed in 9.04 in the Keyboard control panel that it only went up to F12 even when I installed the new Keyboard. I then noticed the version on the newer Macs had a newer version of the Keyboard control panel and proceeded to install that into my G4 after obtaining it from a friend who works at CompUSA. but the mute and the volume keys didn't work. neither did the disk eject key. The moment I installed 9.1 everything worked like it was suppoesed to. Then again I did a clean install.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Art D
Jan 11, 2001, 03:19 PM

Hi theriver,

In regard to that annoying message, I recently bought a new Epson printer and experienced the same problem. The USB driver for the printer is in my extensions folder and the printer works just fine. Even so, I was constantly getting that annoying message you mentioned. The one about the USB driver not being found and do I want to search the Internet for it. I finally just used the Extensions Manager to turn off the "Software Update" control panel and that stopped the message. After updating to 9.1 I still got that annoying message, so I have once again turned off the Software Update control panel. You might want to do the same thing.

Art

Forum Links
Forum Rules