Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to make a clean install of 9.1?

How to make a clean install of 9.1?
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2001, 11:20 AM

Hey, I just donwloaded my 9.1 from Apple's FTP, I'm finishing to backup my stuff and I need to know how to make a clean install of this OS? I never done this before on a Mac (but several times on Wintel machines?!) can someone gimme a help!?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2001, 11:48 AM

First you need to boot from your software restore CD. but the CD in the Drive and reboot your machine and hold down the "C" key After you get the smiley Mac then you can let go and let it boot up in the CD. Next what you can do if you want is use drive setup and reinitialize your HD. Then re-install the system from the install CD. Once you have doen that reboot your machine again holding down the "CKey and let it boot from the CD again anf then Proceed to instal the update.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2001, 01:15 PM

Typoon............

How can you tell him to do a Clean Instaii using a OS CD when he has no OS CD..

All he has is the OS 9.1 download from the Apple site. I am no aware of being able to do a Clean install without a OS CD.......Correct me if I am wrong...
bigbiker

Wingz
Jan 11, 2001, 01:30 PM

If you reinitialize your hard drive, say good bye to everything you had on it. I'd skip that part.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2001, 02:08 PM

George I was saying that since he said he backed it up or I would assume so. He could install it from his disk image in Backup.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2001, 11:38 PM

Hey guys!! What a silly question I made... there is no clean install if what I downloaded was the UPDATE!!
I'm sorry about this... I don't know if I will switch to this update... I've seen a lot of people complaining about it... I would do it if I could make a clean install but... that's it! Thanx everybody!

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2001, 01:23 PM

I had an idea... what about if I reinitialize my HD, install 9.0.4 again and withou installing anything else, I install the update 9.1? And then I start loading my HD with all the "crap" ?
I'll try, and post all the opinions in a new topic!

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Forum Links
Forum Rules