Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Serious MacOS issues (regarding 9.04 and 9.1)

Serious MacOS issues (regarding 9.04 and 9.1)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2001, 11:23 AM

Well, I have not downloaded the MacOS 9.1 updater yet, as I've heard it causes numerous problems and moves folders and renames things and whatnot. However, I have noticed something that is much more interesting (and frustrating) about MacOS 9.04. Since Tuesday, when the MacOS 9.1 updater was released, my iMac DV SE with MacOS 9.04 has become extremely unstable, crashing several times a day. Now, I notice it can no longer read Playstation CDs, making Virtual GameStation useless. It read Playstation CDs just fine prior to Tuesday. However, what would Apple have to gain by crippling the previous OS version so that it would become unstable when the new one was released? They don't charge money for the 9.1 updater, so they aren't gaining anything but frustration from me. Anyone else having problems with 9.04 since 9.1 was released?
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Jan 11, 2001, 11:27 AM

Everything seems to running smoothly. I will let you know if I notice anything different.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2001, 11:30 AM

No problems here either. Everything seems to work fine for me. But then again I did a clean install
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2001, 11:31 AM

My OS 9.0.4 is strong as usual.... G4 400, 448RAM, 10HD and preparing for 9.1

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2001, 12:50 PM

OS9.0.4 working like a champ and always (&gt;crosses fingers&lt; ) i wont be updating to 9.1 anytime soon...i'm not a risk taker

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2001, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Kozmik:
However, what would Apple have to gain by crippling the previous OS version so that it would become unstable when the new one was released?
Kozmik: This conspiracy theory is very implausible.

As for myself, I decided to take the risk and upgrade to 9.1 over my existing 9.0.4 system folder. I didn't even start up from the Mac OS CD. So far, everything has been running very smoothly.

Escher

------------------
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Let's have a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook with AirPort and 5 hour battery life now!
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Kozmik  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2001, 02:13 PM

Okay, I seem to have recovered from most of the instability (I still don't know what caused it though), and I discovered the cause of the sudden impairment of PSX CD-reading capabilities- iTunes. Yes, iTunes. I remembered I was able to run Virtual GameStation and play Wipeout 3 yesterday afternoon, but not after I installed iTunes. How peculiar...
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2001, 02:57 PM

Kozmik (and others):

iTunes installs a new version of the CD/DVD driver. Try grabbing the old one from the 9.0.4 install and see if your problem is fixed. You may have to use TomeViewer.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

cpw
Jan 11, 2001, 03:30 PM

All is good with 9.1; no problems here. Grabs more memory, but hasn't crashed (yet!)

Chris Lee
Jan 11, 2001, 04:33 PM

I installed 9.1 on my Lombard, and after running for about 9 hours, Netscape crashed (go figure). When I restarted, I got the flashing question mark/MacOS icon. Nothing would work. Could not boot from original MacOS CDROM that came with the Powerbook, could not boot from external SCSI HD or Zip disks. Same exact thing happened to a coworker an hour later at work. Lombard, 9.1 from 9.0.4, locked up, killed the HD. I was able to recover my files using Techtool and Norton, but my friend's drive was completely hosed. Any Powerbook that we put his HD in refused to boot from ANY device. Luckily he is restoring files from our office network backup (we love Retrospect).

Just be aware Lombard owners.

Kozmik  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2001, 04:51 PM

I downgraded the Apple CD/DVD Driver to 1.3.7 and all is fine. iTunes is now my least favorite program ever.
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Lunchbox
Jan 11, 2001, 05:04 PM

9.1 works great for me. Much more stable and faster!

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2001, 05:24 PM

I have had no problems with 9.1 so far... I just hope it stays that way! I'm sure that IE will find some way to mess things up though The only thing I've noticed since installing the update is a new disk error that neither the Mac OS Installer app or Disk First Aid can fix. I've posted a topic in the fora about this.. if anyone else has experienced this problem PLEASE POST BACK!

------------------
Think different.
--------------------
"I'm so afraid, the way I feel. Days when the rain and the sun are gone. Black as night. Agony's torn at my heart too long. So afraid, slip and I fall and I die..." - Lindsey Buckingham
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Senior User
Jan 11, 2001, 06:03 PM

Can someone please answer this for me?

Can I boot of my MacOS 9 cd after upgrading to 9.1?
I think i read somewhere about not being able to. can someone with 9.1 try it please.

i think it should work, there's no reason why it shouldn't.

G4Man~
Jan 11, 2001, 07:27 PM

Help with OS9.1--After installing, I kept getting error messages that OTinetclientlib could not be found. What's that all about? I finally restored everything back to OS9.04.

Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2001, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by DocWest:
Can I boot of my MacOS 9 cd after upgrading to 9.1?
The answer is, yes you can.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 12:02 AM

thanks man.

time to upgrade

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2001, 01:35 AM

Can't wake from sleep. Pulled all PCI cards, didn't help. Never seen this on my B&W G3 but have heard of deep sleep or trouble sleeping and some unable to wake from sleep.

Tried using just "9.1 All" but that didn't do it either.

Greg

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2001, 04:26 AM

I have found several bugs in 9.1 (the Internet Set switching bug being the most annoying), but everything runs smootly. All existing programs, control panels, extensions etc. work perfectly.

Heimir.

Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2001, 05:21 AM

Re. the last post, I believe there is an incompatibility with the Microsoft Office Manager (not sure which version), and the Mousware drivers earlier than 3.51...?

Cipher13

Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 09:02 PM

I downloaded 9.1 onto my iMac DV SE 400 Tuesday night. . After install you are required to restart (as always). Light on power button came back on but screen stayed blank. Heart stopped. Collected myself and took a breath. Hit restart button on side of machine. Same thing.

Turned off machine. Turned off power strip that my iMac is plugged into. Turned everything back on.

Has run like a champ ever since. Don't know what happened but I think 9.1 seems faster. Hasn't crashed since.

Admin Emeritus
Jan 12, 2001, 10:12 PM

904 ran brilliantly (except for one incident a few months back) up till my installation of 9.1. So far 9.1 has been running flawlessly and bootup times are significantly faster (*significantly* -- very noticeable). Only one piece of software (Outlook Email Archive) is incompatible, but the developer says he'll fix that by next week, so no problem.

The strange thing is that now there's a red X through the iTunes extension at startup -- ? iTunes still runs fine, but how strange.

download it, it's a good update!

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 11:59 PM

Pretty flawless update for me. Installed straight over 9.0.4

Internet control panel prefs got screwed but nothing else. no major problem.
not much difference with memory usage.

icons look better now. on thousands of colors, it looks like it was with millions of colors with 9.0.4
and file sharing starts up way faster.

Oops, I forgot this: 9.1 made my menubar clock screwy.
I had it at size 18 (easy to read across the room).
now in 9.1 at size 18 it gets cut off at the top of the screen
i have to have it at size 14 now.
but that's pretty minor. i don't care.

[This message has been edited by DocWest (edited 01-13-2001).]

profsci
Jan 13, 2001, 12:36 AM

I have what looks like a fix for the Lombard PB: If you get the "?" at startup, remove the power cord and the battery, depress the hardware reset button (in the back) for 15 seconds, then release, restart, put in a Tech Tool 3.0.2 CD, go to startup disk, switch to TT 3.0.2. Restart and boot from the CD. Run DiskFirst Aid 8.6 (in my case found some custom icon errors), then run TT 3.0.2 and it found some creation date errors and some bundle bit errors...after fixing all, I restarted, and all has been fine.

Profsci

Phaedrus
Jan 13, 2001, 01:31 AM

Same here with the menubar clock being cut off at large font sizes. So far, that's the ONLY problem I've had with 9.1. I love it, it works better than any Classic Mac OS I've ever used. It's definitely faster, and the driver updates like Open GL are nice, too (quake is a hair bit faster). Best of all...I'm finding that it is ROCK SOLID. It has yet to crash on me, whereas with 9.0.4 my system crashed every day. If my G4 maintains this stability, I'm gonna want to hug it!

Thanks Apple!

Does Micro$oft ever give windows free updates of this magnitude? I just wondered..it seems generous of Apple to offer such refinements. If they wanted, they could easily have added a few extra features, hyped the stability and speed, and sold it for $125 as OS 9.5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules