Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Netscape 4.7 suddenly can't find quicktime

Netscape 4.7 suddenly can't find quicktime
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2001, 12:47 AM

Apologies to all who are consumed with 9.1 and QT5 PR and iDVD but...

I've had the following problem on two different machines now:

I use Netscape 4.7 and I have QT 4.1.2 installed and all is well for many weeks when, all of a sudden, one day I go to the Apple web site to watch a movie preview and instead of a preview, I get the little icon which says "Click here to get the plugin". Of course I have the plugin already so I go into the Preferences>Applications and make sure quicktime video is directed to QT player etc... but nothing will do. Note that if I double click on the QT player app, it works just fine so it's not corrupted or anything.

This happened both on an iMac SE w/9.0.4 and on a PowerComputing w/ 8.6.

Going through the whole reinstall routine does not improve the situation.

Has anyone faced the same problem? Is there a solution? (I did a search on the forum first but did not find any answer).

Thanks a lot for any help.

Art D
Jan 12, 2001, 01:09 AM

Hi Lebodde,

You said you made sure quicktime video was directed to the QT "player". Try directing it to the QT "plug-in" instead.

Art D

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2001, 02:43 PM

QT plugin? Hmmm... interesting. Thanks Art.

I don't really understand why it would have to point there but, hey, if it works, that's all I care about. I'll try at home tonight.

Thanks

Art D
Jan 12, 2001, 06:42 PM

Hi again Lebodde,

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I really understand why either. However, if I change my preferences to direct Netscape to the player, I get the same message as you did when I go to Apple and try to play the movies. If I then put it back to directing to the plug-in, it all works just fine.

I think you know how to direct it to the plug-in (via the "Edit" button), there's just one thing I want to mention. If you click the Edit button and find that the QT plug-in choice is not available, do the following.

1) Go to the "QuickTime Settings" control panel and choose "Browser Plug in" from the pop-up menu.

2) At the bottom of the Browser Plug-in window, click on the "MIME Settings" button.

3) In the window that opens, you'll see "QuickTime Movie" mov,qt at the very top of the list. Make sure that box is checked. In fact, I checked most of the boxes because it doesn't mean you must use the QT plug-in, it only means the Plug-in will be available to use.

Now, when you go back to Netscape's Preferences> Applications>QuickTime Video and click the "Edit" button, the plug-in choice should be there. Also, while you're there, look at the Suffixes at the top. It should say mov,qt (or qt,mov).

Hope this helps,

Art

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2001, 06:53 PM

Excellent info, Art, thank you very much. Can't wait to try it tonight.

One thing that is still puzzling is why all of a sudden this thing would get out of whack. I've only had this iMac SE for a few weeks and it was obviously set up correctly at the factory and working well. Then all of a sudden it can't find QT... Weird. I'll check tonight and see if the planets are aligned kinda funny these days.

Thanks a lot

P.S. I did turn off some of the extensions that I didn't need (like most of the Microsoft and AOL garbage) but nothing having to do w/QT

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2001, 01:16 AM

Art,

You, my friend are a true American hero! (Well, I assume you are American...)

It worked on both machines!

How did you figure that one out?

Thanks a lot, man!

Lebodde

Art D
Jan 13, 2001, 01:03 PM

Hi Lebodde,

Hey, I'm glad you got the problem taken care of. I'm also glad you posted the problem to start with because it brought up another question. That is, why can't we just direct Netscape to the QT player?. After all, that's what the plug-in is doing. I'm going to work on that little question and see if I can come up with the answer (it bugs me not knowing).

Thanks for letting me know you got the problem fixed Lebodde, I really appreciate that. And yes, I'm American. Retired and loving it!

Have a wonderful day,

Art

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2001, 02:18 PM

Well, since you're into debugging... Here is another one related to Netscape 4.7...

In the Messenger preferences, there is an option for Netscape to automatically fill in an adressee's name when you start typing his name in the "Send To" box. This works great on Netscape 4.0 and 4.6 on my SGI machines at work. But I can't for the life of me make it work on Net 4.7 on either of my Macs even with those names present in the Address book. Any clue what might be happening?

Thanks a lot.

Lebodde.

Forum Links
Forum Rules